• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - Myxce : (

caralion

Young Bun
Hi does any one have any advice i've taken my lovely 19 week old giant continental rabbit - diesel to the vet and he's confirmed myxce. We're absolutely devistated but have decided to give her a fighting chance she such a beautiful girl. She's on antibiotics and anti inflamatory - just wondered if anyone has got some other good tips to help the fight. (I'm new to the forum) Thanks x

hi no unfortunately not we're new to owning rabbits i feel terrible - when we got her hadn't got given the advice. I now know after much pain and research : (

As sad as this sounds, I don't think she can come through unless she has been vaccinated, so if it was my bun I would think it would be kinder to let her go. I know that's awfully hard to hear though and you can only do what you think is best for her.

The vet said to see how she is on friday and we'll make the decision then - we don't want her to suffer but we didn't want to give up on too quickly either, don't think i've cried so much for a long time. Thanks for your reply :)

So I'm presuming Diesel has full blown myxi?

I'm not sure how to say this without upsetting you but I'd say chances of survival in that case are very slim.

I had to have one of mine put to sleep yesterday because she was unvaccinated ,I also have 3 others who are vaccinated that have myxi but they have the nodular form and stand a chance of recovering from it.

Personally I couldn't try to treat a bunny with the full blown version becuase survival is unlikely and its such a horrible disease....sorry if that sounds harsh.

Im so sorry.As soon as you said shes not vacced,my thoughts were the same as Sky-o.
My thoughts are with you.There is so much of this wretched disease around currently, and on here with pet bunnies.So dreadfully sad.:(

Thats ok - thanks, she actually is in quite good spirits eating and cleaning herself. We're going back to vets in the morning and we'll do the right thing for her saying goodbye will be hard but seeing her suffer would be far worse.

if vaccinated it should be the nodular form, and bring in bun keep them in the house warm, get on antibiotics and antiinflammatry(metacam) which will also give pain relief, also if breathing is difficult can give a steam bath too or nebulise but do this only if breathing probs, if the bun has a weeping eye then clean it and maybe he needs fucilthalmic or tiacil eye drops.my buun chelsea survived nodular myxi if i can help at all pm me. x x

thanks so much- we've got olbas oil near the cage but didn't think of steam bath will try that this eve. I've promised the children we'd try our best- its hard though.

Me too but its so nice knowing that there are some lovely people out there who don't know me and yet take time out to be supportive. Thanks to all of you x

I lost two unvaccinated buns to myxi. Both of mine were still eating/drinking
washing etc. when I had them pts, it was so difficult but their symptoms were not getting any better and they were only ever going to suffer. I'm so sorry that your bun has got this awful disease :cry:

I am sorry to hear your bun has myxi, it’s a truly awful disease and there has been a lot of it about lately. I have also not heard very many cases of an unvaccinated bunny surviving :(

Keep her as comfortable as you can, but be aware that it can go on for a number of days getting progressively worse before bunny gets too bad to cope. I don’t want to sound doom-and-gloom but do be prepared to have to make that difficult decision and since you have children, be prepared to protect them from seeing your bunny in such an upsetting state. I have seen photographs of bunnies with myxi and nodular myxi and even as an adult it is upsetting and stomach-turning to the point where I just couldn’t imagine seeing it first hand, especially for children. It’s best you check on your rabbit first so that your children don’t have to see their furry friend that way.

Sending positive vibes your way x

Hi - she doesn't have any scabbing anywhere - she's snuffly has swollen eyes and genitals and has lost some fur but so far no scabbing or lumps. As soon as it looks too much for her we'll do the right thing, she's a little fighter so hope we manage to save her.:roll:

I really hope she proves us wrong and pulls through this, my thoughts are with you, sedning lots of healing vibes xx

I really hope she manages to pull through. My Lillian made it a full week, she was still eating and moving around by herself right up until the 7th evening, when she suddenly collapsed and died in my arms. At the time i felt i had to do anything and everything to save her but now i look back and see what she went through i wish i had her put to sleep. I know how difficult it is, and they can pull through but if she starts going downhill its kinder to let her go peacefully than leave myxi to take her. I dont mean to sound negative and i know you are doing all you can, my prayers are with you and your bunny *hugs* xx

Im so sorry :(

If you don't mind sharing, where abouts are you located?
I think there is a bit in this forum for myxi areas. The BRC has one too.

Back