• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE help! Trying to get through to vets as I type!!U/D 9th Oct

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Good morning everyone.... I need opinions on Rimmi, I keep checking his wounds, last night I noticed one of the sacks were swollen, but now both are, is this normal?? Looks like the sacks are filled with fluid?? One even has a red tinge :(

Trying to ring vets, theyre not answering yet

Hes active, not eating much but nomming hay, he has pooed although they were soft, not eating normal things like pellets... I force fed him some recovery food last night and hes drinking ok

Is this normal?? Im so worried :cry::cry:

Last edited:
As you know vets first;)
When Feegal was castrated they left the stitch too long and it went pussy where the testicle was removed. Was furious with vet:evil: He is fine now. Don't know about Rimmi though:( Good luck.

Oh sweetie! How terrible!

Are they hot to touch? Are the stitches still in place? When Rose (female bun) came home she had something which is nicely named oooze. (looks a bit like watered blood.

Keep trying your vets, that failing, call any emergency vet (doesn't have to be in your area...they can give you advice!)

Vibes to Rimmi! Get better little man!!

Afaik, swelling is normal but your vet should be able to confirm whether Rimmi needs to be seen once you get through. Alfie's plums were bigger post op than they were before he went in. :oops::lol:

I would agree with a vet check, and also asking for something like Metacam (pain killer and anti inflammatory) would be a good start, and obviously if the vet thinks antibios are necessary then go with those too.

I'm sorry no one replied as quickly as you needed, but this forum does move slower than the others, so 7 minutes wasn't that long for here. If you get desperate again, you can try cross posting in Rabbit Chat which moves faster and it will be seen quicker and hopefully get some replies quicker too :)

Let us know what the vets sayl.

Im concerned too, but if Groover the ferrets were anything to go by,they were rather large and I thought the vet hadnt done it!!!
Vibes to Rimmi too.Sounds like hes not bothered..hes still got em!!!

Bobs were really swollen the day after and he wasn't himself, i.e. an eating machine, for a good couple of days. I don't think it's anything to worry about too much at this stage but the vet (usual or an emergency) will advise. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Sending Rimmi healthy vibes.

Pipkin was really swollen for a good couple of days but the vet said it looked fine otherwise and just gave him extra painkillers.
Definitely get it checked out but it could well be nothing. I hope Rimmi is ok!

They dont seem hot at all or cold, just the same temp as him, just looks as though theyve filled with liquid? Is that normal? Hes still nomming hay which is nice because he wasnt a massive hay eater before, I am worried about him having enough to eat as he obv didnt eat his cacels (however you spell it) this morning... prob too painful to put his mouth there I guess.

Thanks everyone for your help... I didnt mean to try and be rude.. just so worried :?

The caecal poop prolly isnt gonna taste too good...he knows theyll not be nice.Lily wont eat hers all the time shes on baytril.....
I adore your Rimmi...keep me updated when the nurse rings and a HAYOOGE hug from me.xxxx

Sweetheart you were not rude! No one would have thought you were it is obvious you are just really concerned about your baby Rimmi.
When Jims has his op one of his sacks was really swollen and we were really concerned so he went back and got checked a few times and had antibiotics and we were told that it was scar tissue.
Try not to worry to much, the nurse will hopefully put your mind at ease.

They dont seem hot at all or cold, just the same temp as him, just looks as though theyve filled with liquid? Is that normal? Hes still nomming hay which is nice because he wasnt a massive hay eater before, I am worried about him having enough to eat as he obv didnt eat his cacels (however you spell it) this morning... prob too painful to put his mouth there I guess.

Thanks everyone for your help... I didnt mean to try and be rude.. just so worried :?

I would think some Metacam would really help, unless he is already on some.

Some swelling is normal, but obviously nti-inflammatories can really help.

Did you get through to the vet? Or talk to a nurse?

I made sure they gave me some metacam last night when I picked him up, have had another look, although he is swollen, nothing is out of place if you know what I mean, it is all clean etc. Just looks like theres some fluid has got into the sacks, its not blood, have used a torch to have a proper look, its clear so its probably plasma (the stuff blood travels in)

Nurse didnt ring me back so I am ringing them now (how rude eh??)

The person I spoke to on the phone was the receptionist (very experienced one though....)

Will let you know what they say, Metacam runs out tomorrow so I will probably have to go and pick up some more ....

Anyone know how long the swelling may be around so I know how many days of metacam to demand?? (they REALLY did not want to give me any yesterday... said he had an injection but I pointed out that its going to hurt him for more than 24 hrs! ouch)

x

I made sure they gave me some metacam last night when I picked him up, have had another look, although he is swollen, nothing is out of place if you know what I mean, it is all clean etc. Just looks like theres some fluid has got into the sacks, its not blood, have used a torch to have a proper look, its clear so its probably plasma (the stuff blood travels in)

Nurse didnt ring me back so I am ringing them now (how rude eh??)

The person I spoke to on the phone was the receptionist (very experienced one though....)

Will let you know what they say, Metacam runs out tomorrow so I will probably have to go and pick up some more ....

Anyone know how long the swelling may be around so I know how many days of metacam to demand?? (they REALLY did not want to give me any yesterday... said he had an injection but I pointed out that its going to hurt him for more than 24 hrs! ouch)

x

The worst neuter I had was where his nuts went the size of a small melon (thats pretty impressive on a nethie :lol:). He had Metacam for 4 days, then I put him outside in his run (he was getting depressed) and by the time I went to get him later that day they had started to go down. He only needed one more day of Metacam. So maybe see about getting 7 days 'just in case'.

If they are swollen then you could offer him something cool to put his poor swollen bits on, as that may help the swelling. That could be cool concrete or similar. I never did it intentionally with mine although I do think the concrete did have an impact on helping Angel's bits to go down. I saw someone give their bun a frozen water bottle and he seriously rubbed his bits on it for ages. She filmed it and put it on a different forum. It was hilarious.

As for the nurse, possibly rude, yes, but it might also be that they had an emergency come in and had to prioritise, but its not very good that the receptionist didnt call you back to let you know, if that's the case.

Puzzle would like to send Rimmi some vibes, he knows how u feel and hopes u get better soon x

Back