• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not good news for Grimlock :(

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Grimlock has abscesses in his top and bottom jaws where his incisors were removed. He was on Baytril and I was trying to find out about an operation where antibiotic beads are put in the hole to release the medicine over time.

I took him for a check up and to ask about the antibiotic bead operation and it all went a bit weird. The vet looked in his mouth and then went and got another vet and they both had a look and a discussion about what they could do. They got all the books out after saying that the bead operation wouldn't work, but didn't say why. I was in the consultation room for over half an hour. The second vet was shocked he was able to eat and had to ask me twice to make sure. They weighed him and he hasn't lost any weight.

They tried to clean out the wounds and on the top jaw and a bit of tooth had grown back and it was rock solid pus. The bottom one was more runny and when it was squeezed about two inches of pus came out. The way they were acting made me really upset because it just seemed like they really didn't have much hope for him. They went to every effort for us though.

Grimlock is being re-admitted next Thursday. He's going under GA and having the bit of regrown tooth pulled and the wounds cleaned and flushed again. They're ordering in a new antibiotic for me and teaching me how to inject him. It's just really upset me because I thought he was doing so well and was thinking about adopting him a mate and now everything seems to have fallen apart.

Grimlock is my baby and I can't bear to think he's on his way out. But I know he's a fighter, he always has been and I will not give up on him. When the time comes I will know, but he has so much life and love left in him.

I'm really sorry to hear about your poorly Grimlock :cry:
Is he on some ongoing pain relief as well as his antibiotics? I'm hoping that the vets will come back with something a bit stronger for him than the Baytril? Penicillin is often used in these cases. I was reading around a bit earlier just by chance on this subject and found these articles which you might find useful.
http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~llandau/Homepage/Rabbit/abscess.html
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/jawabscess.html
http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/abscess.php which has some extra links on it.
Sorry some of them are a bit long.
I know that with tooth extraction it is important to kill off the stem cells below to prevent the root regenerating, but sadly sometimes it still does no matter how careful they are.
Is your vet definitely rabbit-savvy? I really think some ongoing pain relief will give him a good fighting chance.

Lots of vibes for your brave little man and hope he keeps on fighting. :)

Last edited:
Sending vibes for you Jenova and for Grimlock. I hope he gets the treatment he needs and deserves and things start to look up.

Good luck for Grimlock, I know the trouble and pain of having to fight abcsesses, my bun Tipsy had them on her tummy and leg but the head is always a difficult area. It would be worth searching some of the threads on here and asking your vet for some stronger 'icillin' (penicillin derived) meds, my vet gave Tipsy some as a last hope and it REALLY helped.

Perhaps get some recovery food in case eating becomes too painful for him/ you dont want any hard food getting stuck in the wounds...

HUGE vibes for Grimlock xxx

Yup, my usual vet is rabbit savvy and she's doing the operation. I saw a locum that time. He's on painkillers and they're getting me something stronger than baytril... finally.

Thanks for all your vibes.

Back