• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit suffering from overgrown molar roots.

maxxev

Mama Doe
for the last week my french lop Pierre had been picking at his food (his molars dont align properly so he has them burred every few months) i booked him but after his dental when i spoke to the vet he explained that several of his upper molars were 'falling' out. when they did an xray it showed that the roots of two of his upper molars were not growing straight but were curling upwards putting pressure on his sinuses (despite this Pierre had no nasal discharge/weepy eyes etc..) and the roots of his lower molars were so long that they had nearly broken through his lower jaw bone. infection was widespread around the overgrown roots.
his recant infection in his inner ear was not caused by infection moving through the bone due to an abcess in the mouth that pierre had previously suffered but due to an infection in the bone that was draining into his ear.
pierre is now on antibitics and (a huge dose...1.5ml) of metacam but i think this is the begining of the end of my boy.
there was no sign of any of this when he had his last dental 4 months ago and other than his appatite this last week he had shown no signs of discomfort and exhibited a change in behavior. i cant believe im now almost certainly faced with one of the hardest choices i've ever had a make.
if anyone has any surgestions, of experiance of similar any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, one of my bunnies was diagnosed just over two years ago with the roots having grown through his lower jaw.

He too showed no signs before it before he started to be unsettled one day.

Anyway, his condition is now "kept under control" by monthly dentals and he is very happy. I don't wait for any signs, he is booked in as a matter of routine.

I know that everyone's bunny is different but I do hope that your vet can help Pierre.

Edit - the new Bunnymad magazine has an article on teeth which may be worth you getting.

2ml of baytrl once daily.
the vet didnt think they could cure him just manage the infection to give him as much time as they could. hes due back monday but im going to take him in again tomorrow. one of his eyes is weeping but the liquid smells bad? infection draining through sinuses?

2ml of baytrl once daily.
the vet didnt think they could cure him just manage the infection to give him as much time as they could. hes due back monday but im going to take him in again tomorrow. one of his eyes is weeping but the liquid smells bad? infection draining through sinuses?

Possibly :cry: Is his eye bulging ?

As far as abx go would your Vet prescribe off licence ?
If so a Tetracycline may be more beneficial than Baytril. Tetracyclines have good tissue penetration including bone and teeth.
Metronidazole might also be useful

thank you jane.

....' Possibly Is his eye bulging ?'.......
not that i can see. no inflamation...no nasal discharge either.
his other eye now has the same..tiny bit begining to collect in the corner but it smells the same.

..'As far as abx go would your Vet prescribe off licence ?
If so a Tetracycline may be more beneficial than Baytril.'.......

i will ask tomorrow. considering pierre's condition and the alternative i cant see them objecting.

Last edited:
the discharge from Pierre's eyes is worse this morning, it still smells unpleasant too. (though he is eating a lot more..he even came over this morning to see what i was eating for breakfast:) )

Picture336.jpg

i let him run with the girls, neither of them attempted to groom his face (i imagine it tastes as bad as it smells) kyi sniffed at it once and moved away from him.

do i need to seperate them completely (hes been eperated since the op so i can see what he is eating and though kyi can see him she dosn't like being seperated from him)....can infection spread to them if they ingest the discharge?

Last edited:
Poor wee sweetheart, vibes for his comfort and for him having a great time with his mummy xx

the discharge from Pierre's eyes is worse this morning, it still smells unpleasant too. (though he is eating a lot more..he even came over this morning to see what i was eating for breakfast:) )

Picture336.jpg

i let him run with the girls, neither of them attempted to groom his face (i imagine it tastes as bad as it smells) kyi sniffed at it once and moved away from him.

do i need to seperate them completely (hes been eperated since the op so i can see what he is eating and though kyi can see him she dosn't like being seperated from him)....can infection spread to them if they ingest the discharge?

Personally I would keep them seperate til you have seen the Vet.
IMO (unqualified) it is possible to cross infect from ingestion of purulent occular/nasal secretions and I would not risk it in a multi Rabbit environment

Good luck at the Vets

xx

the vet believed that the discharge from his eyes was caused by the sudden relief of pressure on the tear ducts when the teeth were removed and that it should (hopefully) stop. he did say that it shouldn't pose a danger of cross infection with the others but i think im going to keep them seperated until it clears anyway....just in case.
hes now on 1/4 tablet of the tetracycline twice daily AS WELL as 2ml of baytril.
he said baytril acted more efficantly but as you (jane) had commented, it did penetrate bone better. between the two i hope it give my boy some relief.

the vet believed that the discharge from his eyes was caused by the sudden relief of pressure on the tear ducts when the teeth were removed and that it should (hopefully) stop. he did say that it shouldn't pose a danger of cross infection with the others but i think im going to keep them seperated until it clears anyway....just in case.
hes now on 1/4 tablet of the tetracycline twice daily AS WELL as 2ml of baytril.
he said baytril acted more efficantly but as you (jane) had commented, it did penetrate bone better. between the two i hope it give my boy some relief.

Here's hoping the additional abx gets on top of the infection :)

Back