• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Star is a bit withdrawn - do I need to worry?/False Alarm

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some reassurance or advice.

I dont know if I am just being over-sensitive, but Star seems very withdrawn today. She seems to be a bit off her food and has been a bit lethargic for the last couple of days. I had put it down to the cold and she is generally very calm and laidback anyway, but she just seems to be sitting around gazing more than usual. She definitely ate lots of veg at lunch so I dont think its stasis.

I think it may just be the cold. My OH is cleaning the OH tonight (bless him) and unlike Twinkle she wouldnt come out of the hutch, not even when we rattled the food bowl as it is pellet time!

Because I was worried we managed to coax her in to her carry case with a carrot, and I gave her cuddle in the kitchen. She seemed to like being in the warm and her eyes went a little sleepy when I was rubbing her so she seemed very calm. Checked her bottom - no stickiness - all clean. Checked also her nose - not wet or cold. Her ears were very cold - guess thats natural from the cold though. Felt her tummy but couldnt feel any bumps or obvious bloating (first time I've done this though).

Am I just worrying about nothing, or could there be another explanation?

I am going to go to P@H in a minute to get a Snuggle Safe just in case, we are going to put extra extra straw in their bedroom.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Helen

Last edited:
That does sound like something is going on, and that something could be medical, circumstancial, etc. I think your gut instincts that something is not right are probably spot on, so always trust yourself on that.

I would think a vet check may be your first port of call (things like teeth, etc).

Also, I don't know how long you have had her, but if you got her recently, was she a house bun before you got her?

Has anything else changed in her world recently?

Thank you Sky-O but I think it was a false alarm.

I think you are right in that you know when your bunnies are off-colour. But after I got back from P@H she was back to her inquisitive self and fully ready for her evening veggies.

I think maybe she's just a bit sad because of the change in weather - I dont think she likes to be out when the ground is wet, so its probably been a bit boring, plus we could probably have made the hutch a bit more snug for them, which we have done now.

I also havent been able to spend as much time with them the past few days so maybe she was attention seeking!! :lol::lol:

They have always been outdoor buns so nothing else has changed apart from that above.

Will keep an eye on her but relieved its all fine. Anyway it was nice to get huggles with her as she doesnt normally let me!!

Thank you so much. I am sure I am just paranoid anyway! :)

Always good to be paranoid! Better to be safe than sorry. :D
Glad she is ok :thumb:

My buns are a bit fed up with the rain too - stuck inside on wet play! Although we did kick them out this evening with much feet flicking in the rain....and then had to thoroughly towel dry feet on their way back into the house! :lol:

Ah bless. I just feel so sorry for them outside in this weather when we are snuggly in our house. I worry at night especially. How will I cope when the winter comes??!! :roll:

My bun did something similar a couple of months ago. She didn't seem herself was wasn't interested in veg. I waited a couple of hours and she still wasn't right so she went off to the vets. They could find anything wrong but gave me some fiberplex. When we got home she was totally back to normal. Maybe she'll think twice next time now she knows she'll get a thermometer up her backside!!!!:lol:

Glad Star is ok x

Oh dear! I dont think she would be too happy with that. I know this sounds really bad but it was the first time I had been able to properly inspect her bum. I know you should do it every week but they are incredibly skittish and wriggly and I am still building up slowly with them. :oops::oops: So at least something positive came from it!

Thanks everyone - its nice to know that if I do need advice there are so many helpful well-wishers here!

We are still unable to handle Jims so can only inspect Jims bum by feeling but when you feel he pops his bum in the air for me :oops:

Back