• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do you buy your hay?

crysta

Alpha Buck
Well, down to the dregs of the bag of hay we have :lol: and I'm looking to buy in bulk this time but I want something decent quality for my buns. Where do you buy your hay from, and what kind do you go for? Do you buy it online, or go to the pet store? How long does it last you? I've got two French lops who are going to be chomping away at it :lol:

There is a farm in whythenshawe. http://www.nixonsfarmshop.co.uk/
I've had my bunny 1 month and i bought a big bag full for £4 from there, i'm half way through it now. it's maybe got a very slight tinge of green to the hay which i think means its good. you can buy bales for £6 which are 3 times as big but and slightly better quality i think, but i have no where to store all that hay. really wanted someone to split it with!!!!

I buy Dust Free Hay for eating but for bedding, I buy hay from my local horse feed merchants. It costs £5 a bale and lasts for probably 6-8 weeks depending on the weather. It's pretty decent quality too.

Dust free hay company or Ross rabbits! Really good quality (Ross Rabbits probably slightly better) You can get everything for your buns from there!!)

I nick mine from my horses' yard. Hilly's hay is usually £200 a year (we get major discount because it's made ourselves.. long story) and I just pinch it from that.

I buy bales from a horse supply place, it only costs about £8 for a huge bale of meadow hay which lasts my buns ages. The only thing with bales is having somewhere to store it, the first time I got one I didn't realize how much hay it was and ran out of space to keep it all so I ended up filling the hutches like this just for somewhere to put it!

DSC07964.jpg

They have timmy and oat hay mixed in which I buy from my vet or pet shop

Kay, you saw my supply on saturday. Im getting low at the minute, and trying to figure out where I am going to put it. I get it from the same place my A+P pellets and megazorb come from.

http://www.allenandpage.com/Find-a-Stockist.aspx?Phrase= I tried stockport, but it came up with nothing, maybe you could put a few of the surrounding towns/villages in and see what it come up with. It is a horse feed primaially but they do make rabbit pellets etc too, anywhere that stocks horse feed will do hay too.

A quick related question. Is it ok if the hay is in rather long strands? I've noticed when they eat they get so far and then kinda cut it with their teeth.

I wondered about that as my latest bale is long hay - I guess you could shake it out in a sack or bin bag a slice at a time and give it a chopping with the garden shears if you were worried about entanglement.

Kay, you saw my supply on saturday. Im getting low at the minute, and trying to figure out where I am going to put it. I get it from the same place my A+P pellets and megazorb come from.

http://www.allenandpage.com/Find-a-Stockist.aspx?Phrase= I tried stockport, but it came up with nothing, maybe you could put a few of the surrounding towns/villages in and see what it come up with. It is a horse feed primaially but they do make rabbit pellets etc too, anywhere that stocks horse feed will do hay too.

where do you get your hay from? i'm not too far from oldham...well manch city centre...

Hay Experts on line are brilliant. Mine love the meadow hay for everday, then some of the other hays to keep them interested as they are not allowed many vegetables or else they get diarahea.

I get a Bale or couple of bags of Hay if I don't have the room, from farms in Churchfenton or from Thornhill just into Wakefield :)

I get a big bag of meadow hay from the horse suppliers, Louie loves it and it only costs £1.20.

i buy pure pastures meadow hay from the hay experts. 7-8 bags last a month, they are £2.79 a bag i think.. lovely stuff i want to eat it myself :oops::oops:

Back