• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Chemotherapy?

Faye's ( fairy13) Picollo had chemotherapy for leukemia last year and as far as I know he is still doing well :wave:

no knowledge at all but i wish you success in your quest for information. and very best wishes to poorly bun.

Hey Jane! I don't know but it might be a possibility for Ginger, should we get a definate diagnosis. I'd like to know whether PetPlan would pay, and whether it makes a rabbit as ill as it makes people. Also, can it actually cure cancer, or is it just a way of slowing the spread?

Sorry, I'm a bit dim. :oops:

Hey Jane! I don't know but it might be a possibility for Ginger, should we get a definate diagnosis. I'd like to know whether PetPlan would pay, and whether it makes a rabbit as ill as it makes people. Also, can it actually cure cancer, or is it just a way of slowing the spread?

Sorry, I'm a bit dim. :oops:

AFAIK it can put Bun into remission. But I guess it depends on the type of cancer and how the individual Rabbit responds.

There is absolutely no way I would consent to it *if* the side-effects were just half as bad as they can be in humans. But from what I have heard from people who's Dogs have had Chemo' the side-effects are negligable :?

I'm sure Faye wont mind me posting this as she has her hands full with the new baby so has little time to post :)

This is copied from else where but it does list some of the drugs used

Just thought I'd update that Picollo is still doing ok. His most recent blood test showed that he is much improveed though there are 2 types og white cell that are still not right so he has had a couple more different drugs the last couple of weeks and has a month of freedom before he needs another blood test!!

I do know that initially he was treated with Dexadresson every 3 days and Cytarabine once and then again 3 weeks later. Then he's also been covered recently by a long lasting antibiotic and then these most recent drugs which I dont know!

There are different types of leukemia and apparently he has chronic myeloid leukemia

I'm sure Faye wont mind me posting this as she has her hands full with the new baby so has little time to post :)

Just thought I'd update that Picollo is still doing ok. His most recent blood test showed that he is much improveed though there are 2 types og white cell that are still not right so he has had a couple more different drugs the last couple of weeks and has a month of freedom before he needs another blood test!!

I do know that initially he was treated with Dexadresson every 3 days and Cytarabine once and then again 3 weeks later. Then he's also been covered recently by a long lasting antibiotic and then these most recent drugs which I dont know!

There are different types of leukemia and apparently he has chronic myeloid leukemia

Thank you xx

Thanks for the link HT. I read some but got too depressed to continue. I wish the vet would phone so I could discuss this with him.

I wouldn't think of putting my little guy through chemo if it wasn't for, as in the article, his amazing strengh and obvious will to live. I guess I'll have to wait and see what's actually WRONG with him before planning his future though.

Why do we do it to ourselves?

Thanks for the link HT. I read some but got too depressed to continue. I wish the vet would phone so I could discuss this with him.

I wouldn't think of putting my little guy through chemo if it wasn't for, as in the article, his amazing strengh and obvious will to live. I guess I'll have to wait and see what's actually WRONG with him before planning his future though.

Why do we do it to ourselves?

If you find the answer to that will you let me know please..............

Just replied to your thread in care. AFAIK chemo in animals doesnt make them ill like it does us, I was concerned about that very thing and asked the vet. She said it doesnt because the dose they give to animals is no where equivalnet to the dose the give humans. Whether that is because such a high dose isnt needed or because it would not be fair to put an animal through such aggresive treatment I'm not sure. Maybe a bit of both. Certainly I think the side effects it has in us is because the chemo kills all the bad cancerous cells but also kills healthy cells hence hairloss etc and of course it wouldnt be fair to put an animal through that when they have no comprehension of the why and wherefors!
Picollo had no symptomatic side effects at all. He just needed covering with a long lasting antibiotic shots throughout his treatment as it did wipe out all his good white blood cells too so he was at high risk of infection.

Thanks Liz xxx

Just replied to your thread in care. AFAIK chemo in animals doesnt make them ill like it does us, I was concerned about that very thing and asked the vet. She said it doesnt because the dose they give to animals is no where equivalnet to the dose the give humans. Whether that is because such a high dose isnt needed or because it would not be fair to put an animal through such aggresive treatment I'm not sure. Maybe a bit of both. Certainly I think the side effects it has in us is because the chemo kills all the bad cancerous cells but also kills healthy cells hence hairloss etc and of course it wouldnt be fair to put an animal through that when they have no comprehension of the why and wherefors!
Picollo had no symptomatic side effects at all. He just needed covering with a long lasting antibiotic shots throughout his treatment as it did wipe out all his good white blood cells too so he was at high risk of infection.

Thank you, I did reply over in health too !!

I guess wiping out an immune system in a Bun from a multi-rabbit household isn't the best scenario is it ..............
Another thing to consider..............:?

Thank you, I did reply over in health too !!

I guess wiping out an immune system in a Bun from a multi-rabbit household isn't the best scenario is it ..............
Another thing to consider..............:?

Well Picollo is an outdoor bun and remained outdoors throughout his treatment. He lives with his sister but obviously we have other bunnies too, which the vet knew, and she never mentioned that it would be a problem. I think we were very lucky with Picollo that he responded so well to the chemotherapy and *touches wood* he has so far remained well.

Back