• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Being spayed

ali-w

New Kit
Our two little buns (sisters) are off to the vets tomorrow to be spayed :( . Will i need to do anything in particular for them when i bring them home (feed them or dont feed them etc) or do i just put them back in their shed and leave them on their own in the quiet.

You need to keep an eye on them and keep them nice and warm , have you any vet bed you can use for them to sleep on as hay can be a bit uncomfortable when they have just had the op.
Leave their food in as they may eat some, and have you been given any pain relief if they should need it?
Have you somewhere you could put them both in the house for a few days while they heal?

If it's possible it's best to keep them indoors for the first night, as they have difficulty in maintaining their body heat when they've had a GA, you can also monitor them to make sure they are eating, drinking and pooing which is essential. Ask your vet to make sure they have had pain relief, normally you have to take them back in the next day or so to make sure the wound is healing okay.
They also need soft bedding such as vet bed if you have any as hay and straw can stick to their wounds.

Good luck for tomorrow:D

Back