• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To be or not to be a houserabbit?

KateB

Mama Doe
Our solo bun Dill seems to be stuck with the snuffles now - he's had a couple of courses of baytril & bisolvon (sp?) which improve things but don't clear it completely. So we were wondering whether to bring him in as a house bun?

He's got a large hutch to himself at the moment (approx 7'x2.5'x2.5'), and enjoys his time in his run on the grass with lots of binkies and dashing, but he also seems to enjoy exploring our house. :D

We know he's a terror with cables - according to our electronics engineer friend his teeth do a cleaner job than most pairs of wire cutters!:roll:

How do we decide what to do for the best??:?

And what sort of accommodation is good for a housebun? I've looked for the NIC cubes in our local B&Q but they don't seem to have any. We could bring the hutch in but it's quite dominating when inside & might not be the best use of the space we could give him to play in.

Hiya, you can get wire crate panels from BnQ and clip them together to create a pen to the size you need. We got them from B and Q in Glasgow, so you could ask them to order them in if you dont see them in the store. They're good for creating a flexible cage or pen that you can move from room to room, change the size as it suits you.

As far as the chewing goes...!!! Thats a tough one. Lola chewed our internet cable, phone and my bf's xbox amongst other things before we completely bunny proofed every single wire in the living room. We dont let her into the rest of the house!! She's not chewed stuff as much since she got spayed tho. You can buy wire protectors also in b and q, to cover up all your wires.

Our bunnies love being house buns, they get all the home comforts and they're fun to have around. :)

I've got a similar problem. Just had to run outside and cover up Bramble again, because it's raining..... he had only just dried out! I'm so tempted to bring him indoors, even if only for the winter. Don't know what to do!

A question - are house bunnies smelly? :lol:

I've got a similar problem. Just had to run outside and cover up Bramble again, because it's raining..... he had only just dried out! I'm so tempted to bring him indoors, even if only for the winter. Don't know what to do!

A question - are house bunnies smelly? :lol:

:shock::shock::shock:
How rude!! :lol:
not smelly at all! In fact, mine make the house smell of fresh hay :lol::love:

:shock::shock::shock:
How rude!! :lol:
not smelly at all! In fact, mine make the house smell of fresh hay :lol::love:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:Julie is never smelly. I too think that she makes the house smell nice. She lives in the bunny proofed kitchen and plays in the rest of the house supervised. She will try and get to cords and climb onto low shelves and baskets when left alone in the rest of the house. Anything is seen as a food source to her. She is very social and when exploring the rest of the house tries to stay near to us.

My Daisy has a habit of weeing over the edge of her litter tray, so the carpet upstairs is getting quite pongy :lol: But it's my fault as I still haven't got around to buying her an enormous litter tray for big bummed bunnies.

My two have their own room so don't have a set-up as such. They free range on the landing and stairs as well all day/evening but the door to the bedroom is shut at night.

Mine is probably 3x2x2 but Bob only uses it for his litter tray, hay rack and water. He's a permanent free-range housebun and can - and does! - go where he wants, whenever he wants.
He's not remotely smelly and the flat definitely doesn't suffer (if you ignore the patch of chewed carpet under the dining table! :?). I use Carefresh in his litter tray which I find really good for eliminating urine smells (anyone else know anything better? It can be a it dusty at times and doesn't smell that nice itself).

Mine is probably 3x2x2 but Bob only uses it for his litter tray, hay rack and water. He's a permanent free-range housebun and can - and does! - go where he wants, whenever he wants.
He's not remotely smelly and the flat definitely doesn't suffer (if you ignore the patch of chewed carpet under the dining table! :?). I use Carefresh in his litter tray which I find really good for eliminating urine smells (anyone else know anything better? It can be a it dusty at times and doesn't smell that nice itself).

If it's emptied every day, wash with washing up liquid & water, a bit of vinegar, then rinse with water & dry. Doesn't smell like a chippie or pee, & very cheap.

Back