• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat deterent

I have been throwing water over cats since I moved in and we very rarely get them back after that. A glass of water usually works but if there is a stubborn one that hold it's ground then they get the hose treatment. Cat people may not agree with me but cats hate it and a drop of water isn't harmful. I have also put orange and lemon peel around my fences which deters them as well. Again, cat people will shout at me as I think citrus is toxic to cats but from the evidence I have I don't see it as a problem as the cats near me that have sniffed it have just walked away straight away in disgust.

Citrus peels and probably Citronella oil too - well, mine fall out with me when I wash the pots in it :lol:

You can also get sprays from the pet stores but I don't know what's in them and they probably cost more than a bag of oranges anyway.

i've heard orange peel??

bit wierd- but i'm gonna try it in may garden.
You can get sprays and 'things' that look like cats eyes that scare them away

004-87.jpg

Dogs don't work:D

Cats hate the smell of curry plants - this is a good time of year to pick up cheap plants/take cuttings, and put into tubs, ready for the Spring. Put the tubs at entrances. Cats also hate the smell of olbas oil and citrus (lemon/orange peel). I plant these near the rabbit and guinea sheds to stop cats pee'ing up them.
You can buy random water sprinklers - you plug 'em in, and they squirt out water every 1/2 hour ..

I have 8 resident cats here, often more with fosters. I have 5 resident rabbits - the cats have never shown any aggresion to the buns..

Flimsy wire or plastic netting stapled along the top of any fences works like a treat! Cats can't stand or grip on it.
A quick squirt from a hosepipe also works rather nicely! ;):lol: (I do love cats btw - just not in my garden!)

See water doesn't seem to work on the ones that use our garden...I wouldn't mind but they tend to fight in it and use it as a toliet..their not our cats and my young daughter likes playing in the garden so not a great mix

Back