• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring for sore hocks

BunMom

Alpha Buck
Last night I found sores on the back of Baloo's hocks:cry: His fur is so thick the only reason I saw them was because one had been bleeding. I am so upset and mad at myself for not noticing sooner. I just clipped his nails two days ago and didn't see it then:cry: We have an appointment for this afternoon at the vet to have them looked at. I am trying to research what would be the best flooring for his cage and run. He is a house rabbit and was free range but his new girl friend Crystal is part termite so they have to stay in their cage and run at night. I have lino on the bottom of their run now and towels in their cage. I was thinking of buying a memory foam mattress topper and putting it under the lino for added cushioning or putting it on top and covering it with a blanket or sheet so Crystal doesn't massacre it. I was also thinking about foam tiles and/or vetbed. Any suggestions, what has worked for you? I really appreciate any help, I am super-stressing here....

I used vetbed covered with cotton sheets for Beau, I think it was Jane who advised this (hope it was now I have said that) and when my vet asked what I was lining his floor with and I told him he agreed that this was the best option as the vetbed isn't ideal for sore hocks but is useful to use as it dries quickly on top and their feet need to be kept dry

I had two layers of vetbed then the cotton sheets wrapped the whole way around so it didn't slip off, and megazorb in the litter trays. Beau was prescribed Flamazine and his hocks completely healed, his were actually bleeding at one point, and the fur grew back x

Also was advised to keep him off carpet/rugs and when he was out of his hutch I put him down the vetbed covered with cotton sheets on the floor in the house for him x

Vet bed with cotton sheets sounds ideal! Just make sure your bun doesn't chew it!

Carpet actually makes sore hocks worse, so don't go there.

We just returned from the vet with Fuciderm gel and instructions to keep his living area padded and come back in a week if there is no improvement. She said they weren't infected and the bleeding was most likely caused by a scab coming off.:( He seems pretty happy at the moment and has even done a few crazy binkies today:) I am going to use a combo of the suggestions by putting padding under the lino and then covered vet bed on top. Hopefully he will heal up quickly:) Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

good luck -hopefully you've caught it early enough. Audrey has sore hocks and their litter trays have megazorb at the bottom with a layer of soft straw and then loads of hay. I make sure that the cage is always dry underfoot (as they drink from a bowl I need to change the paper 2 x a day sometimes:roll:). As they are house bunnies there are fleeces down on the floor whereever they are free range. Also sudocream is useful to keep the skin from drying out too much.

good luck
xx

Back