• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox proof housing

jane28

Alpha Buck
Hi, Not been on here for a while but need some advice please (and photos if poss!)

Im off travelling at the end of the year and my uncle and auntie will be having my two buns for the foreseeable future. One thing is that they live on the edge of Cannock chase which is great for wildlife. Amongst badgers, sparrowhawks, birds, hedghogs bats they also have the occasional fox coming through their garden.
Now, they have a patio which is where the rabbits would be on so a fox wouldnt be able to dig underneath and there will be a run on the lawn for daytime and they will be put away in the night time on the patio. Im just wondering what would be the best way to fox proof? We would be using galvanised wire (2 layers) and bolts but is there anything else we can do for the night time? We may be able to bring the rabbits in to a night time hutch in the garage so that could be a suggestion but i am trying to make this as easy as possible for them...
I cant bring their current wendyhouse with them as it wont be worth it so im thinking of a 6ft hutch above the ground with the run underneath?
Thanks!

If you can lock them in the garage overnight that is the best idea. But even during the day there is a risk. You also have to be wary about runs on patios, although they can't dig under, it could stillbe possible to lift the run up and get underneath, or to break the wood at the bottom and make an easy way in. Yes you need to use a nice thick wood with two layers of mesh and lots of staples to hold it together.

I agree with putting then in garage or shed. Most bunnies die from the shock of being faced with a fox not from being actually killed by a fox :cry:

It might also be worth getting fox deterants.

I have seen some people mention things they use, but can't remember off the top of my head. Maybe try a forum search for them?

Thanks for the suggestions...:D
I did think about the lifting up of the run on concrete so would be using large timbers around the bottom of the run. My uncle works from home and his office is right over where the buns would be so he is able to keep an eye on them during the day as well.
I think you may be right and the best idea is to put them in the garage at night and have them out during the day with a house for shelter.
They also have a cat which im not bothered about as the buns have seen cats lots of times and they never seem to bother them!
We couldnt use fox deterrent either as they dont use anything chemical in their garden but i suppose my uncle could pee around the rabbit enclosure... hes done weirder things!

Last edited:
Back