• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help for woman at work

Bex Dave and Robbie

Warren Veteran
Hoping someone can help, at work we have an internal internet system and someone posted a free to good hoem bunny, being nosey I responded..

Turns out she had 3 bunnys, 2 were bonded and she tried to introduce a 3rd, which didn't work. One of the original pair has died and she tried again but still not working. Both of the remaining buns are unspayed and female, she is reluctant to spay the older bun due to poor health but would consider spaying the newer one.

Would it be possible to try to bond them again after this on neutral territory? She's moving so whole area would be neutral..also would anyone in Lincoln area be willing to lend a hand with bonding. She seems really genuine just a bit misguided!

Oooh sounds tricky. I have no experience of bonding at all so cant help with that sorry. But might it be a good idea anyway to have the younger one spayed as this may help with any behavioural problems, may help with bonding, and may also prevent health problems in that bun (thinking of the uterine cancer statistic).

I don't think she did, I have the feeling they were introduced into the established home..so that's why I think it failed both times...she honestly seems to want to make it work..so I'm hoping someone can suggest something..I have mentioned spaying and she seemed ok with it!

They are vaccinated and insured..so that has to be a good sign!

I'd offer to help but have never bonded buns...

I can't see the harm in trying again, in neutral territory after the younger bun has been spayed :) Do you know what health issues the older one has?

Chances are the bonding was never going to work spayed or not if she wasn't doing it on neutral territory. I know two girls can be harder to pair up than a boy and girl and I don't think I would personally try it with an unspayed girl but bonding just frightens me anyways

Hopefuly someone with more experience will be able to help

If she does want to give it another go it might be an idea to contact local rescues, or the closest one on here and see if they are able to help with bonding in exchange for a donation? x

The older bun has EC which has lead to a permenant head tilt..so I'm guessing that isn't helping..also shes on antibiotics for an inflammed mammatry gland...

Does anyone know a good rescue in Lincoln that would do the bond..I'm sure a donation would be offered...

How old is the older bun? Does she have any health issues? If it was my bunny then I would still get the older one spayed up to about 8 years if there were no apparent health problems :wave:

I'm not far away and would offer to bond for her but I've got bunnies with myxi here at the moment so I really can't ,I'm not sure about rescues around here,I do know a couple of people who foster for RSPCA Lincoln but they are full up with fosters at the moment I think.

Sorry I don't know of any rescues, and am no help personally as I am not in the UK but I hope you manage to find someone close who can help x

I don't think she's in any urgent rush..I'll check..could I pass her details on if she'll wait..it'll need to be once the other bun is spayed won't it?!

Sorry missed a post, the older bun is 5 but she really doesn't want to get her spayed..she's apparently quite a nervous bun and has been poorly from the start..so a very treasured bun..hard to recommend something which we know would help when she's already lost one bun recently!

Sorry missed a post, the older bun is 5 but she really doesn't want to get her spayed..she's apparently quite a nervous bun and has been poorly from the start..so a very treasured bun..hard to recommend something which we know would help when she's already lost one bun recently!

That's fair enough. I wouldn't risk it with a poorly bun either. Do you know which one is the main offender in the bonding failures? If it is the older bun causing problems as well I think it was said in a similar thread recently about some sort of jab that is being trialled at the moment which is meant to help hormonal behaviour in rabbits who cannot be spayed.

I think initially it was the older bun but now is the younger one..I guess having just lost a companion and someone entering the territory wasn't a good mix...I might send her the details to here...I didn't want to incase it got heated about how she must have both buns spayed...:oops:

I think initially it was the older bun but now is the younger one..I guess having just lost a companion and someone entering the territory wasn't a good mix...I might send her the details to here...I didn't want to incase it got heated about how she must have both buns spayed...:oops:

That's understandable, it's hard to judge what peoples opinions are going to be. I definitely think in this case she is doing the right thing and most people will agree as she has her rabbits best interest at heart and a good reason for not going with standard advice.

I think there are probably many people on here who wouldn't put a sick bun through the op, I wouldn't if it was one of mine x

Well she's willing to get the younger one spayed, I've given her the site details so hopefully she'll join soon!!

hope she does join sounds like she cares a lot... adn we have all made the mistakes about not spaying or intro on non nuetral territory in the past so she wont be alone. i agree not spaying the older bun but wonder about transmission of ec to younger bun? has buns bothe been treated wtih 28 day pannacur? if not already done is essential. also she may find as older bun has health issues other bun wont take as easily to her due to "weakness" however you also get the opposite sometimes where "ill" bunny gets taken care of and its an easier bond. good luck to her. hope it can be made to work. xx

I too would be concerned about bonding the younger bunny to one that has an active EC infection at the moment.

I would suggest waiting until the older bun has finished all her treatment and her health can be reassessed :)

Back