• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Struggling to keep my bun dry!

clarebear

Mama Doe
I'm still having difficulty keeping Bramble dry in all this rain. His hutch part is fine, as I have a piece of plastic that covers the front. The only trouble is, he would much rather sit in his run. I cover the run with tarpalin, but after a while it seems to drip. Is tarpalin not waterproof?

You can get sprays to help waterproof tarpaulin but it does tend to wet out ovre time. I think the hutch cover man on ebay makes covers for runs aswell as hutches so that might be an option. My lot have free range of the garden when I am in and also access to their shed and the Dutch lot usually choose to sit out in the rain (Albert is far more sensible) they have never come to any harm

I'm still having difficulty keeping Bramble dry in all this rain. His hutch part is fine, as I have a piece of plastic that covers the front. The only trouble is, he would much rather sit in his run. I cover the run with tarpalin, but after a while it seems to drip. Is tarpalin not waterproof?

A proper tarp should be strong and waterproof. You can pick them up in B&Q or online. A clear plastic one might be better for wet and winter days to let the light through to the grass and bunny, and keep Bramble a bit warmer too in winter if the sun shines through. I would use a darker tarp in summer for shade. Releasable cable ties work very well in holding tarps onto wire. :)

Thanks for the tips! I think when there is a lot of water sitting on the tarpalin it tends to drip through.

Having similar problems. Hardly slept last night because of worrying about the poor little mites.

So glad I'm not the only one! It's tricky eh? I am so tempted to bring Bramble indoors for the winter. Is it possible to do this?

Thanks for the tips! I think when there is a lot of water sitting on the tarpalin it tends to drip through.

How about using a wide stake propping the centre of the run up and pushed into the grass a little. If it is the right length it will wedge in firmly but will push the lid slightly up in the middle and hopefully the water will run off? We do this :)

If you bring him indoors for winter then he needs to come in now before his coat grows any thicker and possibly to a cool room to start with to allow him time to adjust.

Once water starts pooling on top I find it starts dripping through no matter what plastic sheet or tarpaulin I have used. And I have gone through loads! I have those covers from the hutch cover man but on my runs I have placed sheets of corrugated plastic on top of the run and put the cover over that just to stop the rain gathering on top x

How about using a wide stake propping the centre of the run up and pushed into the grass a little. If it is the right length it will wedge in firmly but will push the lid slightly up in the middle and hopefully the water will run off? We do this :)

If you bring him indoors for winter then he needs to come in now before his coat grows any thicker and possibly to a cool room to start with to allow him time to adjust.

Good idea. Simon was thinking of doing something like this. The run is actually on the patio, but I'm sure he could come up with something!

I'm just worried he won't see us as much in the winter, as we won't be outside as much. His hutch and run are right outside the back door, but it's getting a bit cold to keep the back door open, which is what we don at the moment. I'd hate to think that he is lonely :( But I'm freezing! :lol:

Oh thats a good idea, I hadnt thought of that.

I think mine just generally arent enjoying the damp and the cold at the moment. I feel so guilty being in a warm snug house and they are out there in all weathers...

Once water starts pooling on top I find it starts dripping through no matter what plastic sheet or tarpaulin I have used. And I have gone through loads! I have those covers from the hutch cover man but on my runs I have placed sheets of corrugated plastic on top of the run and put the cover over that just to stop the rain gathering on top x

I like the idea of the corrugated plastic!

I use corruagted plastic and it works brilliantly, and I would always recommend it, so you have another recommendation for corrugated plastic here.

I also always put a shade underneath the plastic because it obviously protects against the sun in the summer but adds another layer of protection and insulation in the winter.

OH has said he will sort out Bramble's hutch and run this weekend. I think his hutch may need re-felting as it was leaking yesterday. Definately going to look at getting some corragated plastic for the top of his run - top idea!

I use corruagted plastic and it works brilliantly, and I would always recommend it, so you have another recommendation for corrugated plastic here.

I also always put a shade underneath the plastic because it obviously protects against the sun in the summer but adds another layer of protection and insulation in the winter.

Just to add, to have A reasonable overhang on the "run off side" to reduce the amount blown into the run by wind. (Helps to know your prevalent wind direction!)

I use ikea clear shower curtains - they let in the light, are cheap at only 89p and you can guarentee they are waterproof.

I try to cover the sides as wind can blow the rain in the sides.

I think its impossible to keep it 100% dry though.

OH 'pimped' Bramble's hutch last weekend and it is brilliant. It now has a plywood floor and is slightly raised off the floor, and the run has a corrugared plastic roof. The hutch also had to have a new roof, and I managed to get some Freebie felt from Freecyle. So far no rain has got in - yay! I'm much happier now. :D

Here's a couple of piccies:

pa180018.jpg

pa180019.jpg

Back