PDA

View Full Version : Help Please on what to do with Radish whilst i'm at work

hellsdarkrose
07-10-2009, 08:21 AM
At the moment Radish is in her indoor cage whilst I am at work but I really want her to be more free range.

I have considered putting her in the kitchen whilst I am at work as it is completely rabbit proof but I have a few questions.

Should I put her cage in the kitchen with her? (if I do this she won't be left with a great deal of room to hop about)
Do you think I should just put her in there with a litter tray, some toys and a box full of hay?
Where would I put her water as she currently has a water bottle that she uses on her cage?
How should I introduce her to this set up? (how long at first or just leave her there for a day and see how it goes?)

Sorry for all the questions.

sillyrabbit
07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi

I would leave the cage where it is and just give her a litter tray and hiding box in the kitchen. Mine have always used a water bowl in the house as there is nowhere to put a bottle, just make sure you use a heavy one so its not likely to be kicked over

Maybe wait until you have a day off work and let her spend the afternoon or something in the kitchen and just see how she gets on, I am sure she will be fine x

prettylupin
07-10-2009, 10:50 AM
At the moment Radish is in her indoor cage whilst I am at work but I really want her to be more free range.

I have considered putting her in the kitchen whilst I am at work as it is completely rabbit proof but I have a few questions.

Should I put her cage in the kitchen with her? (if I do this she won't be left with a great deal of room to hop about)
Do you think I should just put her in there with a litter tray, some toys and a box full of hay?
Where would I put her water as she currently has a water bottle that she uses on her cage?
How should I introduce her to this set up? (how long at first or just leave her there for a day and see how it goes?)

Sorry for all the questions.

Where is her cage at the moment? Can you buy a pen like this and fit it around the cage where it is for exercise whilst you are at work?
They can be attached to the cage and the individual panels can fit any corner or shape in a room. We use these when we take our buns on holiday with us - as well as supervised free run of course.
http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/bunnysupplies/playpen.htm

Obviously the kitchen is another sensible option - is it the same temperature as the room she is currently in? Are you certain it is bunny proof? buns can squeeze down the gaps of kitchen units or fridges etc....where there are live power cables.
When you are at home does she normally venture into the kitchen at all? Does she know this area? Would she be able to live in the kitchen permanently or are you stuck on space? I wouldn't just put her in the kitchen and leave her in a strange room all day no, if she can not move in there permanently, then I would slowly get her used to being in the room with her cage in there as well to begin with - so she has somewhere familiar to bolt back to if she feels nervous. Perhaps do some practice time in there over a few days first. Once she seems comfortable in the room then you may be able to leave her in there without her cage but make sure she has a box to hide in, a blanket to lie on, a litter tray, toys, perhaps a tunnel to hide and play in and obviously her hay rack and water/food etc. I would suggest getting her used to having a bowl of water (heavy crock) - most buns prefer these anyway.
You could always find something you could fix the water bottle to as a back up using releasable cable ties? If you fit one tight around the spout it will stop it slipping down, and then use another around the middle as normal.
Hope you figure something out :wave: