• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Passing Blood :(

Vianne

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I've had my beautiful lionhed Alfie for about 4 years now and he is usually very active and loves his food.

He was eating fine on Monday morning but by the night time was looking really uncomfortable - he kept getting up and lying down, but was still eating a little.

Tuesday things hadn't got any better and when I picked him up I noticed that he had some blood in his urine.

I got him straight to the vet who has suggested a bladder infection, gall stones, or worse. He has antibiotics and painkillers.

Today, he was looking a little brighter. However, when I arrived home from work he was lying in the middle of the garden in the rain absolutley soaked (they have a huge shelter that they go in usually but not today).

I quickly brought him in and dried him with a towel, and got the heat lamp on him. Took him back to the vets as he was sat uncomfortably, and kept shifting his weight. His stomach has been making real loud gurgling noises. He feels really stiff and his tummy feels hard. He is obviously in a lot of pain.

He has had a stronger painkiller tonight, and something to get his gut moving, I have been syringe feeding him apple baby food (as advised by the vet) and he seems to be taking it well. However, his ears are cold and he is just sat uncomfortable again.

I have been told he may not make it through the night, but if he is still with us in the morning, we will be going back to the vets so that they can investigate further.

Has anyone had a problem like this before?

x

Last edited:
o this sounds awefull.....im sorry i have no advice for you nala is my first bun so im still learning but sometimes just to know someone is here for u is nice in time of need

i hope all goes well tonight. i presume keeping bun warm will be the best thing and then hopfully fingers crossed he will pull through

our thoughts are with u n alfie

o this sounds awefull.....im sorry i have no advice for you nala is my first bun so im still learning but sometimes just to know someone is here for u is nice in time of need

i hope all goes well tonight. i presume keeping bun warm will be the best thing and then hopfully fingers crossed he will pull through

our thoughts are with u n alfie

Hello,

thankyou for your kind words, and congratulations on your first bunny, I hope all is going well. Yes this forum is fantastic, and even if people can't help, you always know that you have friends who know what you are going through for support :)

Last edited:
this forum has gotten me through some sticky spells with nala she has not been easy to own in any sence of the word i have had properbly £1000 worth of vet bills in the last 8months but shes worth it

i hope someone comes along soon who is more knowlagable than myself but in the mean time how is he looking?

this forum has gotten me through some sticky spells with nala she has not been easy to own in any sence of the word i have had properbly £1000 worth of vet bills in the last 8months but shes worth it

i hope someone comes along soon who is more knowlagable than myself but in the mean time how is he looking?

Hmmm I have been through stages like that too with mine - have you considered a good pet insurance?!

He is just the same, my other bunny Lilly is sat with him, and they have the heat lamp on so he is nice and warm. I've bulked up lots of clean soft straw around him too. he just looks very unhappy poor little man.

Poor Bunny :cry:

It sounds as though he may have uroliths (bladder stones) the pain from which has caused GI stasis/bloat :cry:

I hope he has made it through the night, he is obviously an extremely poorly boy :cry:

Please update us when you can.

Hi everyone.

Took him back to the vets this morning for an x-ray and things. It turns out that he has a huge bladder stone.

We have two options not to do anything (which is really not an option!)

or to operate. So out it is coming.

He is in surgery as I speak with a fantastic vet who is updating me all the time.

Obviously there can be complications with surgery, especially with rabbits, but hopefully my gorgeous little boy will pull through.

Thankyou all for all of your kind words and advice.

Vianne xxx

glad to hear he made it through the night, and good luck with surgery. let us know how he gets on

i haver tried to get insurance but they were iffy about giving me it as i no nothing about nala i was given her by a friend who didnt like her and i couldnt resist and she bought her from an auction:? so we no nothing and insurance ppl didnt like that fact.

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your poor little boy but he is in the best hands and fingers crossed they will get in out safely and he will be back home and back to his old self before you know it.

Thinking of you both xx

Fingers crossed for the wee soul, what a worry it must have been for you though. Hopefully all will turn out well in the end though and let us know when you can.

Hello everyone,

Thankyou all so much for your support and well wishes - they have worked!

The operation finally happened, and the stone is out - in fact I have it at home in a jar!

The stone was origionally in his bladder, but it then moved to his unirary duct, and so the only way that they could get it out was to push it out through his....well through where he wees!

So he has a big scar and swollen bits, but boy has he pulled through! with the help of painkillers and antibiotics, and baby food, he is now happier than ever, and is taking feed as normal.

It was very touch and go, but he has done so well, and it was all worth it.

We are back to the vets next week to check his stitches, although they are ones which disintegrate, but hopefully all will be fine.

One thing I have learned, get x rays done as soon as you can, and let as little time pass in finding out what is wrong as you can.

Will keep you guys updated.

Love and hugs,

Vianne xxx

I'm delighted that your little chap has made it through his op. Poor little soul having to push the stone through - it brings tears to your yes doesn't it?

I'm hoping that he is home again. I bet he's very happy & relieved indeed.
Every good wish for a speedy & complete recovery.:wave:

Back