• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone rent a house but has a house bun?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Hi, im just wondering if anyone has a house bun and rents a house,

I have just built my buns a lovely big run in the front room for night times and when im at work and they have free run of the house when im here..
but havent told the landlord - they know I have a rabbit but probably presuming it is an outdoor one!!

Have you told the landlord?? I have a check every 6 months and dont fancy 'hiding' the rabbit and dismantling the run - but I dont know whether to ask incase they say No because I am not getting rid of my buns...

Just interested to see what other people do

arggghhh

Hi, im just wondering if anyone has a house bun and rents a house,

I have just built my buns a lovely big run in the front room for night times and when im at work and they have free run of the house when im here..
but havent told the landlord - they know I have a rabbit but probably presuming it is an outdoor one!!

Have you told the landlord?? I have a check every 6 months and dont fancy 'hiding' the rabbit and dismantling the run - but I dont know whether to ask incase they say No because I am not getting rid of my buns...

Just interested to see what other people do

arggghhh

Yes we do! :wave: and very similar situation to you. First bun we adopted we got permission for and said would keep hutch in garage and exercise in garden!...but we also built a pen in the front room (collapsable for hiding during inspections!....just had to remember to hide all the toys and tunnels as well!) Garage was heated but when we adopted second bun we just got her and didn't say anything - RSPCA used the same permission letter! :roll::lol: and carried on as before. Except last winter was so cold we finally moved the hutch into our dining room and they are now permanent house buns in the house :D Hutch is a double storey 8ftx2.5ft so can't exactly hide that during inspections! :oops::lol: So we didn't, we just played it cool and pretended it had been there all along - agent didn't say a word! :D Plus we've been very good tenants and been here a long time so reckoned we'd earnt it ;)

us to my 2 bunny live in my lounge in a pen, have full run of my dinning room when i am about. I have been here 5 years now and have never had an inspection so when they come in to sign the contract for yet another year i will be hidding them in my bedroom. i'd rather move than give them up.

us to my 2 bunny live in my lounge in a pen, have full run of my dinning room when i am about. I have been here 5 years now and have never had an inspection so when they come in to sign the contract for yet another year i will be hidding them in my bedroom. i'd rather move than give them up.

We rent an appartment and they´re ok with us having two rabbits inside. But we also have two bunnies living on our balcony with a giant hutch and the whole balcony as a run and have not asked for permission about that. :roll:

We do as well. We have also been in the house for just coming up to 5 years, and have always been good tenants, so I'm sure that worked in our favour. Plus the fact that our contract is just coming up for renewal, and I imagine our landlords would rather keep us on than have to find new tenants!

We initially kept our bun outside, but decided we wanted to move her inside before winter set in. We are hoping to get a second bun soon, but have a few things to sort out first, so didn't want her to be alone outside as it gets colder...

When we made the decision to bring her indoors, we sent a nice email to our landlady explaining that we have had our bun for a while, and that she was living outside, but came indoors for supervised playtime. We explained that she was totally litter trained and very clean! We explained what kind of a set up we would have, and that she would not be allowed out unsupervised for long periods of time. We also provided a bit of info about why rabbits should not be kept alone outside etc (and referred her to this forum :))

Whilst she told us that she had sworn never to allow pets in one of her houses again as she had had some bad experiences in the past, after a few questions (and after setting a few provisos) she said it was ok :D To be honest I really don't know what I'd have done if she said no, so it was definitely a risk :? We just didn't want to be in the situation of having to hide her when they came for checks (particularly when we have had a good relationship with our landlady up until now).

If you decide you are going to ask, and you're interested in reading our emails for inspiration, feel free to pm me your email address, and I'll forward them on to you :)

Good luck in whatever you decide :D

I've just moved out of a rented flat, the landlords knew I had a bunny. But they wernt to happy when they found a hole in the back of there sofa. oh well

I rent, but my landlord would rather we kept ours outside. It's terribly difficult when I look out the patio doors and see her sitting in her run looking at me. She's tried to sneak into the house three times when she's out in the garden. :lol:

I was entertaining the idea of getting a bunny play pen and some old towels and at least putting her inside for play time when the weather is bad.

One day I will no doubt cave in and ask my landlord to move her inside.

If you are getting rabbits in a rented accomodation it is your responsibility to get permission from your landlord. Firstly, if your violate the terms of your tenancy by keeping an animal without permission your landlord has every right to evict you, you will then have issues getting references for your next accomodation especially if he future landlord will be concerned about you adhering to your tenancy.

Secondly, you will lose your deposit if your animal destroys something that belongs to the landlord. One of the reasons why pets end up in shelters is because the landlord found out and threatened eviction.

I just got my permission letter from the housing association for my bunnies, I detailed the plans for the shed with them and they were fine with it. They specified that any damage caused to the property as a result of any pets was my responsibilty and I would have to pay..which makes sense. I can now happily hand this letter over to a rescue instead of scamming them into thinking its alright when it might not be. It also covers me in writing so they can't change their minds :D

Back