• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone rent property and has a house bun?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Hi, im just wondering if anyone has a house bun and rents a house,

I have just built my buns a lovely big run in the front room for night times and when im at work and they have free run of the house when im here..
but havent told the landlord - they know I have a rabbit but probably presuming it is an outdoor one!! :?

Have you told the landlord?? I have a check every 6 months and dont fancy 'hiding' the rabbit and dismantling the run - but I dont know whether to ask incase they say No because I am not getting rid of my buns...

Just interested to see what other people do

arggghhh

We didn't tell the letting agency that we have a house bun, and they saw him on their visit and weren't bothered at all :) Even though it says no pets in the tenancy agreement! It's a sticky area, and totally depends on individual landlords, though I expect if your landlord already knows you have a bunny he'd be fine with it.

I wouldn't tell them, just to be on the safe side, as technically they could serve you notice if they don't want a bunny in the house. What I would suggest is if you do decide not to tell them is when they come to inspect, say the bunny is inside temporarily because he/she's been ill :D

My first rented house, I didn't tell them - they knew I had outdoor buns and i just popped Sorrel in a spare hutch outside when they visited.

Subsequently I have rented people's spare rooms so had a live-in landlord, so no hiding of buns! I'm just upfront about it and say, I have house rabbits, they're litter trained and only out of their cage when I'm here to supervise. No problems yet :)

To be honest i couldn't be bothered with lying to a landlord/agent again - there was a thread on RU recently where someone got caught out doing that and she ended up having to move house :shock: totally not worth it.

You could write up a pet CV listing all your bunny's good behaviour and how you are being responsible for both his care and the landlord's house and of course would pay for any damages if they ever occured etc - I was reading recently that landlords have to be more lenient these days with the sheer number of people renting so you're probably in quite a safe position - you could always keep the pet CV to one side just in case you need it?!

I live with the landlord :lol: So hiding the bunnies would be impressive!

[Lucky he approves as they're litter trained :lol:]

I didn't tell my landlord because there was a 'no pets' clause in the contract, so I was quite worried. He popped round one day and saw them and was fine about it. Better than fine in fact, the buns wrapped him round their little paws.

Just tell your buns to be on their best behaviour when he comes to do the house check!;)

ummm i told my landlord in london i had one bun, at one time i had 24 *whistles* landlord pop round once a month for rent how i blagged it i dont know one was ok was landlords older brother that had a "raised eyebrow"

current place didnt know until after i moved it actualy doesnt state in agreement on pets or not in fact i found it quite strange considering im ment to have written permission to store a buggy or bike :roll: i wont be smuggleing any more than my 4 in i just make sure everything is clean and tidy when they do come round i guess ive been lucky provied you are polite and dont get defenive ive found its been ok

Back