• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bale hay - tips

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Hello everyone,

I am sorting out my bale of hay tomorrow. I suffer with hayfever so I try to limit the amount of time around hay. Any tips? What do you do? Just separate it into bin bags?

Odd question I know. :oops:

How does that help (the duvet bit)?? I have hay allergy (which gives me asthma) and I am allergic to it even once its been 'aired' in a poo tray in the bedroom for a day!

I don't know if we have any old ones. :oops: Have to have a lookski. We have a plastic cupboard outside where all their stuff is kept, so the main bulk will be in the garage and then a portion in the cupboard, which I then bring upstairs in chunks in a plastic box (with me so far?). So I shall have to put some of it in a bin bag but it wont be for much longer than a week at the most.

The duvet probably won't help much with the allergy part if you're that sensitive to the hay - I have hayfever but am only really affected when I break into the bale. I do this approx once a week, and transfer some into a huge cardboard box rather than taking some direct from the bale every day.

I'm alright if it's only a few minutes, but I had a super compacted lot once and it took me ages to get enough out and my skin got very very itchy. I've also had a couple of funny episodes recently where I have struggled to breathe although I don't think that is connected with the hay in any way but it makes me nervous.

If I can do it quick and reduce any faff then I should be ok. :)

ETA. I'm alright around it, it's when I have to dig into it and sort it and move it around that it becomes an issue. I spend a lot of time in here with them and their hay mounds in their cage but that's fine cos I'm not touching it. It's very odd.

Last edited:
i keep mine in a open bin bag then in a black bin thing, mine never goes off but i do let it air and the bin bag is never tied :wave:

ive just found a nice big cardboard box in the communal bin area so the hay is now in that. it hadn't gone off thou and it has been in the bin bag for a month now, not tied up thou.

I did it.

I put the whole bale in the duvet cover, cut the string and gave it a fluff. Then I put a load in a pillow case and bought it up here. I'm going to cut out the cupboard and just go into the garage every time I need some. I might do it in batches of two pillow cases each time too. See how long one lasts.

I got a bit itchy on my wrist but no breathing troubles. :thumb:

Back