• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips on syringing meds???

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Anyone got any please? Because it's not easy getting meds into Jose, she struggles like god knows what. I've tried wrapping her in a towel and she just puts her head against her chest so i cant get teh syringe into the side of her mouth :roll:

Help!!

Is there anyone who can help you? A family member? Friend or neighbour? It sounds like you could use another pair of hands!

It's just possible, (though highly unlikely), that if you mix the dose with something delicious like recovery diet she'll eat it from a bowl.

If you've really got no other way tip her upside down on her back, and syringe her like that. I forget what this is called, but it should make her 'play dead'. Only do it if there's no other way though cuz it's not a kind thing to do.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who can help you? A family member? Friend or neighbour? It sounds like you could use another pair of hands!

It's just possible, (though highly unlikely), that if you mix the dose with something delicious like recovery diet she'll eat it from a bowl.

If you've really got no other way tip her upside down on her back, and syringe her like that. I forget what this is called, but it should make her 'play dead'. Only do it if there's no other way though cuz it's not a kind thing to do.

Yeah the OH helps but Jose's a right little wriggler and puts up a good fight! lol

And she hates being turned upside down too :roll:

If she is eating happily by herself could you maybe give it with food?

Like, for example, her favourite fresh food? For example, with one of mine we would get a dandelion leaf, put some of the meds on, and then put another dandelion leaf on top. It masked it well enough to allow them to eat it by choice. I've also done it with banana and pear, and very often with basil because it smells so strong.

You could also try mixing it with pureed/food processed foods too.

I would never syringe meds into a bunny on its back, that would be really dangerous.

When you wrap her in the towel make sure you have her front feet tucked in and it goes right under her chin that way she can't get her head inside it :)

Hi
Please do not tip her upside down to syringe her you will probably cause the fluid to go into her lungs, a vet will never advise this. It is very dificult to syringe feed a rabbit properly as they can only take a tiny amount of liquid at a time about 0.2mm. If you have previously squirted more than this in it might have gone down the wrong way and they are then very frightened of having it done again and will struggle. If it is antibiotic try mixing it with some pure apple juice to take the taste away but always syringe feed very tiny amounts. Never force them to have it. if they are calm they should not object to just the tip of the syring being put in the corner of the mouth you dont have to push it in any distance. It helps if you just use the very thin ended ones, always ask the vet for them not the big syringes.

I would never syringe meds into a bunny on its back, that would be really dangerous.

When you wrap her in the towel make sure you have her front feet tucked in and it goes right under her chin that way she can't get her head inside it :)

I've tried wrapping her up just so that her head sticks out but she flings her head around and clamps her mouth shut :roll:

Thats not gonna happen :lol: Jose wont let me pick her up to put her in the middle of the towel and if i do manage to pick her, i put her on the towel and then she wriggles and runs away. I usually just end up throwing the towel on top of her

Maybe not then :lol:

Lola was a ****** - did her like a sausage in a roll but still hated it - I just had to be firm and get it in her - I werapper her in a bath towel but it was no EASY - lUCY JUST SOFFED IT OFF THE SYRINGE!

Lola was a ****** - did her like a sausage in a roll but still hated it - I just had to be firm and get it in her - I werapper her in a bath towel but it was no EASY - lUCY JUST SOFFED IT OFF THE SYRINGE!

I'm glad Jose's not the only "difficult" bun on here! :D

munchie hates getting meds but find dipping the end of the syringe in juice first he'll let me put it in his mouth without too much trouble

i have this fight every morning with pearl. she tries to snuggle down into the towel now so i cant find her mouth :(

its very upsetting stressing them isnt it :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'm glad Jose's not the only "difficult" bun on here! :D

Mine can be a wriggler too. It's a case of keeping calm, a frame of mind that you are GOING to win, & you've got all the time in the world to do so, so you can afford to be good humoured about it. I think we all find our preferred methods. I sit on the bottom stair, toweled up bun in "the breech", very gently support his face with my Left hand, Have syringe ready to hand, lift muzzle with Right hand, while holding the syringe, & pop in just behind the front teeth. Just smoothly squirt in 0.1cc & if she starts chewing (swallowing) gently carry on.
Honestly, Jose will soon learn that you mean business, may always put up a token struggle, but knows that at the end, come those magic words "all done", release, and a fantastic treat. Nomnomnom.

When Audrey was on baytril I squirted it onto her spring greens and wrapped it up so she couldn;t smell it:D
could you hide it in some carrot or other fresh food she eats?

Good luck
xx

She's still a bit funny about eating (she had bloat after her spay) so I cant guarantee that she'll eat what i put the meds in and i dont want to waste the meds cos i've only been given a certain amount

She's eating, she just being bloomin' picky :roll:

Nutmeg struggles. I put her on the floor, knees either side, feet crossed and lean over her.

When Audrey was on baytril I squirted it onto her spring greens and wrapped it up so she couldn;t smell it:D
could you hide it in some carrot or other fresh food she eats?

Good luck
xx

I did this last night and she rumbled me! Anything that smelt funny or tasted funny she dropped on the floor and ignored!! :roll:

Back