• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP NEEDED! What's wrong with him???! :'(

Kara!

Young Bun
My rabbit Smokey turned four in June. He lives in a two-storey hutch with a run in my garden with my guinea pig. I just went outside to clean their hutch out when I saw Smokey looking adorable. I picked him up and hugged him. Instantly he went drowsy and was laying in my arms on his back with his eyes closed. There was some waste stuck to his belly so I got it off. When I put him back down he was a bit floppy and couldn't stand on his front right paw properly - it just kept going floppy and I had to physically get his paw and put it the right way up. Instead of running around like he would normally when I put him down, he just sat at my feet. I picked him up again to check he was ok and he closed his eyes again. My mum noticed he wasn't out in his run hardly any today like he normally is. I put him back down and he still didn't move so I put him in the upstairs of the hutch. He wobbled a bit and then slumped down. Whenever he got up he was all wobbly and still couldn't put his right paw down the right way. I left him for a while to see if he was just tired but when I returned his nose was nestled into a pile of hay - I had never seen him do this before.

Normally he is such a lively rabbit and is always either sitting outside or running around his run but suddenly he didn't even was to get up and open his eyes. Can someone please suggest what could be wrong and what I need to do?? Thanks

He needs to see a vet now! I am not sure what is wrong but it sounds serious and rabbits go down hill quickly. I don't want to scare you but without vet attention he might not pull through the night.

Also once he is better you will need to think about splitting him from the guinea pig. It is really dangerous to keep them together and bunnies much prefer company of their own kind.

Please take him to a vet NOW. Tell the vet (and your mother) it is an emergency. Do not let them put it off overnight.

The limpness may be a side effect of various things - but you need a vet to assess that.

Oh my god Im scared. What do you think is wrong? He has lived with the guinea pig for 2-3 years though and they have been fine together

It could be many things. Call and tell your vet its an emergency and explain the symptoms and you should go straight away.

Oh my god Im scared. What do you think is wrong? He has lived with the guinea pig for 2-3 years though and they have been fine together

There are lots of things it could be so I wouldnt like to post as it really could be anything. Speak to your Mum now and tell her she needs to ring the vets.

I am sure they have lived quite happily together, I always kept a rabbit with a guinea pig when I was younger as I didnt realise it wasnt safe. Bunnies carry a disease that is harmless to them but can be fatal to piggies, and they can also kick and be boistrous, seriously hurting a piggie.

It could be many things but he needs to see a vet right away - right now. Don't be scared - it is very important for Smokey that you stay nice and calm and talk to him gently and keep him warm on the way to the vet. Good luck :)

:''''''( What could be wrong? I just went to check on him again and he is laying down in a covered area of the hutch. :(

She is just about to sit down for dinner but she is going to do it straight after she said.

That's good. The sooner she does it the better.

In the meantime, it might be worth giving him something warm to snuggle with.

Do you have a snugglesafe? If not, do you have a microwave?

They might be closed by the time she's had dinner hun - if she calls now, your bunny may be able to be seen by your normal nearby vet. Once they close you may have to go to an emergency practice further away and it would also cost an awful lot more. Your bunny really does sound very poorly indeed, I hope you manage to get him to a vet very soon xxx :(

I dont no what that is but I have a microwave - I have a cat in the house though so I dont want to bring him inside and scare him. What else could I use?

Please get it t othe vet now :(
To put it lightly, his life is in your hands and the longer you take, the less chance of surviving he has.

If you can get some uncooked rice and put it in a sock and heat that in the microwave until it is warm, then ask your mum to check it to make sure its not hot and put that next to him (wrapped in something like a teatowel).

How old are you?

In the meantime, it might be worth giving him something warm to snuggle with.

Do you have a snugglesafe? If not, do you have a microwave?

You could bring him in, in his carrying box with lots of hay, and put him in a warm quite place until you take him to the vet.

Back