• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nala behaving quite strange today..

Nala's Mummy

Young Bun
Nala had her VHD vaccination yesterday.

She was find when she got home last night and tucked into her veg and pellets.

However thismorning she didn't touch her pellet breakfast and I've got home to find she still hasn't eaten them which is very unsual for her.

However she is munching on a wooden toy which she has never shown interest before....strange....

should I be worried?

(She has eaten some hay too today, and the vet said last night she is looking very healthy)

yes a few

The VHD vac can make the Bun feel a bit off colour for 24-48 hours. Just make sure she is eating some hay and that she continues to poo.
I'd offer her some Veg (if she's used to having them) and some dandelion leaves

Was it the CYLAP VHD Vaccine by any chance ?

you know whats really bad I didn't know there was different types of vhd vaccinations? :( am i a bad bunny mummy?!

I just thought it was strange because she was fine last night and ate everything but just a bit off and moody today - is that normal?

I've offered her carrot - her fave but she's not touching it...and porridge oats which she would have gobbled up before but shes just not interested

you know whats really bad I didn't know there was different types of vhd vaccinations? :( am i a bad bunny mummy?!

I just thought it was strange because she was fine last night and ate everything but just a bit off and moody today - is that normal?

Why should you know that there are two manufacturers of the vaccine !!
Of course it doesnt make you a bad Bunny Mummy.

There is the CYLAP one

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Cylap/-44934.html

and the LAPINJECT one

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/CEVA_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42507.html

It appears that side effects including general malaise, a front leg limp and a localised skin reaction occurs much more frequently with Cylap.

I've offered her carrot - her fave but she's not touching it...and porridge oats which she would have gobbled up before but shes just not interested

We cross posted

I'd give the Vet a call for advice. She may need some Metacam (anti-inflammatory) and possibly a gut motility stimulant. Its just that her immune system is responding to the vaccine (as it is supposed to do) and consequently she's not feeling 100% well.

Oh okay! I don't know which one she had. It was at our local 'village Vet' I will have to ask them.

So annoying I want to make her feel better but can't do anything :(

Back