• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Terrified Bunny

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Does anybody else have a bunny that gets in such a state going to the vets?

Sparkle went for his VHD jab this afternoon, and have just got back. In the hour he was in the carry case, he has continually thrown himself back and forth into the sides of the case and constantly dribbles and shakes with fear.

I know the dribble is not teeth related as he never dribbles at any other time. It is fear related.

I have put him back in his hutch/run with Twinkle and left him to calm down. Twinkle is sniffing and licking him so hopefully he will feel better soon having her around him.

Makes me so sad he gets into such a state :cry:

Buu got in a state and would be shaking, its awful to see :(

My cat is the worst though, I hate bringing her in she shakes and pants and meows the whole time she ends up losing her voice :( I always feel so mean x

If Twinkle and Sparkle are both bonded, I would always take them on trips together. Being with their friend seems to have a calming effect. All my buns are extremely scittish and very scared of strangers, but when I take them to the vet they just sit in their carrier, they are clearly scared but not to the point where they shiver or drool. When I take them out to see the vet however they become olympic jumpers :lol:

Yip, my Kermit used to be a nervous wreck on the way to the vets and in the vets. Most of the time he couldnt really be checked over that well as his heart rate was so high. He used to get in a state if i even took him out of the living room.....but then again this all came from after him getting head tilt.
It is a worry, cos you just want to tell them its ok, but you cant!

If Twinkle and Sparkle are both bonded, I would always take them on trips together. Being with their friend seems to have a calming effect. All my buns are extremely scittish and very scared of strangers, but when I take them to the vet they just sit in their carrier, they are clearly scared but not to the point where they shiver or drool. When I take them out to see the vet however they become olympic jumpers :lol:

I do not wish to put Twinkle in with Sparkle in a carrier as he would really hurt her with the way he throws himself around and thumps and jumps... I have tried putting her in with him and it doesnt calm him down and just ends up with Twinkle being in danger of being hurt.

I hate going to the vet... the cats are the worst. First of all they're impossible to get into the carry case. Then one of them just goes all floppy and her paws sweat and she ends up looking thoroughly miserable. Last time I took her was for gingivitis and the vet was like "you definitely should have brought her in before now; she's a right state!" when in fact she had been perfectly fine up until I put her in the carrier.

Pipkin hates all vets except this one guy who is unfortunately not very rabbit savvy :(
Haven't had many experiences with Ruby yet - I hope she's not too bad!

:love:ahh I have got the vets on Thursday for myxi and VHD jabs, Sooty doesnt mind too much and likes going in her carrier though she hates the car which makes her shake before she even gets to the vets!!
Oreo - it will be his first outing :? so i will see then.

Poor things - they dont realise we are trying to help them do they :love:

Anythings worth a try I guess. Mine aren't keen on the car ride. I cover the carrier with a light cloth to make it less light and play a little low Classic FM - they are used to hearing this in the kitchen when they come in and I think it helps to mask the engine noises!

I use the Five Flower Rescue Remedy and find it does keep them a little calmer. I also cover the carrier top with a towel (leaving some air flow and take it off now and then during the journey as heat rises and panting buns get hot!) I also find travelling our bonded pair together does help for comfort issues.

I wonder if a little "desensitising" can be done?

??? Put him in carrier ever day so he gets used to it do you mean?

I cannot explain how much he throws himself about, but he nearly took the carrier out of my hand a few times when he bounced himself off the side of the carrier...

Mulberry (one of my large rabbits) gets so upset that he often goes into stassis the next day. We also have to give him an anti-gut ulcer medicine as a precaution if we are going to do anything with him like vets appts,

Its awful as we are just trying to do the best for him.

Parsley clicks his teeth all the way as well - he just HATES the car.

Most of the others just put up with it or thump. I actually think Peaches likes it.

Amber dribbles when she knows she is going to the vets. If she goes anywhere else she's fine. They really do know when it's vet time.

Can you leave the carrier in with him...might take a long time but after a few :shock:weeks?:shock: he might start hopping in himself.

I don't have that problem with Ted. The first time he went to the vet and had his heart checked the vet was amazed that his heart rate was so normal... apparently loads are almost inaudible because they get so stressed.

...that was before he lost his manhood...wonder if it's got faster when he goes?!:lol::lol:

Yep, I have the dribbling problem too - doesnt occur at any other time. Poppy is not as badas your poor bun, she does shake a little and has a fast hearbeat but generally just tends too look extremely nervous.

Mallow and Storm just seem to get angry at the vets. They huddle together quietly in the carrier but when the vet takes them out for the vacs they struggle and thump and Storm will make a barking noise that he never makes at home. I have to warn the vet that Mallow will do everything he can to get free - including trying to nip the hand that is holding him :cry:

??? Put him in carrier ever day so he gets used to it do you mean?

I cannot explain how much he throws himself about, but he nearly took the carrier out of my hand a few times when he bounced himself off the side of the carrier...

I would suggest desensitising by using positive reward and positive food associations. So leave the carrier open on the floor when he is hopping around and only put his favourite treats in there - don't give them to him anywhere else. The carrier will then become associated with a very high reward and he might start to make some positive associations with it. Once he happily goes in and eats a treat in there....I would then close it but leave it on the floor and try that for a few seconds - building up to minutes. Next stage would be to carry him around the house in it. So you slowly up the fear all the while continuing with the positive food association. Might be worth a go anyway :wave:

Back