• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Hay expert samples? opinions

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Hi I received my hay samples and have tried them - Sooty liked them all :roll: but i think the wheat oat and barley was the top favourote, shes not a big hay eater so trying to get something she likes..
Have you found it works out alot more expensive than getting hay from a pet shop?
Im guess though its a lot better quality so worth it. :love:

Mine have a bale of meadow hay for bedding and general eating and then a couple of handfuls of timothy each day

I had trouble with getting Beau to eat hay and started mixing oat and timmy hay in with a bale of meadow hay, at first he would just pick out the nice hay but after a couple of weeks I guess he thought he would give the meadow hay a go and has been eating it ever since

Oat hay is the favorite here x

Mixing up 2 different ones might be cheaper and could encourage him to eat more hay. It might be good to try out some different types and do as the others have suggested and mix normal hay with some tastier types. Bob has to have a v low calcium diet (due to previous problem with calcium crystals), so we had to switch from feeding him from a £6 bag of meadow hay to a lower calcium £29 bag of Western Timothy hay Ouch! He was never that mad on the previous hay but now when I feed him, he's ripping the hay out of my hand before I've had a chance to put it in his rack. But I don't that's necessary for less sickly buns. I don't think they're quite like us...they won't be thinking about what they're missing - unlike me when I'm on a diet!

I buy a hay bale from my friend's farm for £3 for bedding and general hay eating. They also have a bag of nice hay as well for eating. I'd say try to get a hay bale as it's so cheap and use nice hay in hay balls, hay racks etc.

I buy a hay bale from my friend's farm for £3 for bedding and general hay eating. They also have a bag of nice hay as well for eating. I'd say try to get a hay bale as it's so cheap and use nice hay in hay balls, hay racks etc.

From looking on I decided to get a bale too. I used to pay £6.99 a bag. This stuff is £4.75 a bale and there's at least four times as much there, maybe more. Both are meadow hay and the bale stuffs look nice.

Just a daft question - is the hay that horses eat the same as what bunnies eat? Its just that my friend has a horse and gets hay dirt cheap, but i wasnt sure if it was the same stuff??
Sorry in advance for being thick!

I was told horse hay is really good, as horse owners wont feed bad hay :) mine just eats hay from the farm, it was £4 for a big bag full, might get the bale next time, it's just finding somewhere to store it all as i live in a flat. hmmmmmmmmmmm!!! anyone from manchester here to share??

i got the samples and lollipop loves them all but when i went to look to buy they are very expensive so im not sure wot to do now :roll: as he loves it but its alot of money i think i will have to just get it or he wont eat hay :shock: i think im gonna have to take on another job to fund my buns lol

Back