• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Please!!!!

Becci36

New Kit
Hi

We have recently bought a dwarf lop rabbit, and even though we feed him treats of carrot, brocolli ETC

Can you give rabbits 'japanese knotweed' or is this a no no

thanks

Hi, I think maybe part of your post is missing (?)

I wouldn't feed anything from the garden until you have checked it on a "suitable for bunnies list" - do a search on here and you are sure to find links to one.

Also I'd keep the carrots to a once in a while treat as they are rather high in sugar and can cause tummy issues.

Got to be honest - I have absolutely no idea. It doesn't appear on any of the 'can give' lists....nor the 'can't give'. It's best to avoid anything you don't know about for sure. They can have basil, parsley, spinach etc (I'd personally be careful with kale and spinach quantities though, our Bun developed calcium crystals and the vet said it was probably due to the high level of calcium in the veg he was having - though Bob seems to have been very unlucky, most other Buns seem perfectly fine). I think this is quite a good list:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html.

the best place for knot weed is on a bonfire! If you have any, dig it all out very carefully and burn it...otherise you will end up with a knot weed garden.

I've been wanting to know the answer to that question for a long time, having a bountiful supply of the stuff! But I can't find out anywhere...

My rabbit don't eat it unfortunately.
I wouldn't advice feeding it personally anyway, as it has high levels of oxalic acid (like rhubarb)

Hi

We have recently bought a dwarf lop rabbit, and even though we feed him treats of carrot, brocolli ETC

Can you give rabbits 'japanese knotweed' or is this a no no

thanks

no you cant - and youhave to be very very careful what you do with it as it is technically a noxious and reportable wed.

Back