• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Ginger Bun

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Hey guys. This is following on from my thread about Ginger, as the vet suspected cancer.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198392

Both the boys went under for their dentals yesterday. It wasn't with my usual vet practice, because their dental bur is broken. We travelled a lot further but the vet seemed to really know what he's doing.

Well, he was really thorough with Ginge. He palpated him, but couldn't feel anything, so took a scan. Unfortunately Ginger's tummy was full of gas, so the scan didn't pick anything up. An X-ray too was inconclusive as there was a lot of free fluid in his tum. The vet took a sample of the fluid, and 2 lots of bloods. The fluid and 1 of the blood samples will be sent off for analysis, while they looked at the other bloods right there and then. Apparently they were high in calcium and low in protein, both signs of cancer. The fluid in his tum is probably the tumors leaking, so it doesn't look good. :cry:

They're both home now, (didn't pick them up until 8.30 last night because Pickle was very slow coming round), but darling Ginger looks a v. sorry sight. The razor has grazed him all over his tummy, and his ear too, and he's obviously in pain. I'll have to get my sister to bring him home some Metacam. As for what to do next, I just don’t know – I guess I’ll have to wait for the results.

So yeah, sorry for the long post - I just feel so depressed over it, and had to tell you guys.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for Ginger and for you :cry: I read this thread hoping for some positive news. It doesn't sound too good does it, how sad :cry: I'm sure you will make his remaining time very special. Is he one of the ginger dutches in your avator? I love ginger dutches (orange sorry!) they are so lovely.
Sorry for your sad news :( Fingers crossed the other results give something more positive. x

Thanks for replying. Yep, he's the little scruffy one, (can't believe he used to be twice Pickles' size!) I know I've just got to make him as happy as I can while he's still with us - he has an amazing strengh of character, and I think he can hold on for months yet. Here he is, my Ginger-man:

GingerBoy.jpg

I'm so sorry, we have a dutch girl called Poppet and she has a lump inside her and the vet doesn't know if it's an abscess or a tumor and can't open her up to look because of where it is, she has good days and bad days, when she has good days she is brilliant, and when she has bad days we have to syringe feed her and give her pain relief. We don't know how long we have her for all we can do is our best. We know what you are going through.

Poppet.

29-5-09003.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so sorry, we have a dutch girl called Poppet and she has a lump inside her and the vet doesn't know if it's an abscess or a tumor and can't open her up to look because of where it is, she has good days and bad days, when she has good days she is brilliant, and when she has bad days we have to syringe feed her and give her pain relief. We don't know how long we have her for all we can do is our best. We know what you are going through.

Oh no not Poppet as well :cry: I'm so sorry :(

Hoppit Ginger bunny is just gorgeous - I wanna pick him up and give him a big squeeze! :love:

Lots of pain free nose rubs to Ginger and Poppet. :)

I'm sorry I missed this update, so thank you for pointing me this way.

I'm sorry it was such a hard day for you and that the news was not better.

When Summer was diagnosed with cancer, she was very happy for another 6 months, and then was only struck down when the weather got hot and humid (her's spread from her skin and into her liver, and later into her lungs) and she couldn't breathe. It sounds horrific and awful news that it could be (or is) cancer, but you can still have time together, and make them so completely happy and also help yourself find some inner peace.

HOPEfully though the other lot of bloods will come back and make things clearer and also bring more positive news.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. You know I can relate, not just with Cloud, but also what we went through with Summer previously, and it is hard. Please know my PM box is always open, ok?

Tracy x

How awful for you and Ginger, sending loads of vibes and praying for a miricle.

Same for your Poppet too Tucker.

I'm so sorry things look so grim. Ginger is such a beautiful bun, & after all you've come through together with dentals & coccidiosis too.
People & buns are all unique individuals. Some people need a few days space after bad news - sort of grieving in advance. Then go back in there & enjoy every moment you have with him to the full.
You are all very much in our thoughts.

Back