• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming for a first timer.

Toadie

Alpha Buck
I got some Panacur from my vet but am not sure how to go about administering it. Frodo HATES being picked up, if he thinks you're going to he runs a mile. Should I just get oh to hold him down? or whats the best way?. Also HOW do I administer it?. Is it possible for me to just mix it in some food?

Cheers in advance!:wave:

You can mix it in with some food - the best way for my two is to put the dose onto the middle of a basil leaf, and then wrap the leaf around the panacur. They eat the whole lot in one go and are none the wiser. :lol::lol:

You can mix it in with some food - the best way for my two is to put the dose onto the middle of a basil leaf, and then wrap the leaf around the panacur. They eat the whole lot in one go and are none the wiser. :lol::lol:

Its the easiest way, mine liked it with brussel sprouts!!:mrgreen:

Sophie eats around the panacur, and she hate being picked up too :( so I have to wrap her in a towel, put her in my arm like a baby, and squirt the panacur just behind her teeth

Bob eats it straight from the syringey thing. I get on the floor with him and just put it infront of him - a lot of the time he yanks it out of my hand. He will NOT be force-fed though and will only eat on his terms! It might be worth seeing if your Bun takes it directly but maybe Bob is unusual (weird!). Like the other posts state, I've found basil or spinach leaves an ideal envelope for yucky medicine.

I kneel on the floor and hold the rabbit between my legs. Then you lean over the top of them and push the end of the syringe into their mouth from the side. They don't have teeth on the side so you can get the syringe in even if their mouth is shut. You then have to dispense the panacur quite quickly or they will find a way to get it out of their mouth.

I put it on a spring green leaf, he took it, ate down to the piece with the paste on it, dropped it, picked it back up again, ate some more, dropped it again, looked at it, hopped away, I picked it up, he decided that he was not sharing and gobbled the rest! :lol:

Mine were happy to eat it off a leaf too - choose something tasty and aromatic like a basil, mint or corriander leaf, we have some sage in the garden which is good too. Hand feed it so you know its gone in. Made those 28 days more bareable!

Back