• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed please..

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I am slightly worried about Jims, I am hoping I have no need to be but thought best to check.
For the last two days he has not seemed 'quite himself', he has been a bit more sleepy but apart from that TOUCH WOOD he is still eating, drinking and pooping normally, apart from the other day when some poops were strung together with thick hair.
He also appears to have lots of energy when playing, like normal.
Am I being overly concerned?

Rachael

Is he moulting ?
The strung together poo indicates ingestion of ALOT of fur and reduced gut motility.

I'd give him a good groom paying particular attention to the area at the base of his spine where his tail is attached. Lots of fur-tufts occur there.

Encourage him to increase his water intake- a bowl of water rather than a bottle. A probiotic such as Avipro C added to their water appears to make all my Buns drink alot more.
Serve all Veg still wet from washing
Make sure he gets lots of exercise
Some people advocate using a Bromelain supplement or feeding some FRESH pineapple/pineapple juice (which contains Bromalain) during a moult but I have never done so. The jury is still out as to whether Bromelain actually helps in breaking down ingested fur. I feel the sugars in Pineapple can cause more GI problems if the Bun already has a reduced gut motility.

A Bun with early Dental issues (molar spurs) can exhibit very subtle behaviour changes as the only 'symptom' so if you remain concerned about Jims I'd ask your Vet to check him over.

Hi Jacks Jane

Thank you for your response, yes he is moulting, I am going to give him a nice groom in a minuite to try and help me out.
I gave the vet a quick call and they said it may be the weather if he is fine in himself apart from a bit sleepy so fingers crossed.

Rachael

Back