• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mxyi meds query.

Starlight

Warren Veteran
It is day two of Autumn's nodular mxyi.

She has been prescribed:
*20ml S/C fluids 4x daily, if she stops eating, this is to be increased to 40ml 4x daily
* 2ml Metacam ONCE daily
* 1.25 Baytril TWICE daily
* Fucithulmic for eyes TWICE daily

Am i being paranoid or is at least the Metacam does a little on the low side?
It is the cat version. She weighs 3.16KG

We used the dog one which is 1.5mg per ml.

and when Viola Rose first got myxi we just used 0.3ml twice a day (total of 0.6ml which is approx 0.8 mgs - and she is 2.4kg so that was 0.3mgs per kg a day). v. approx.

But then when the eyes got really bad and she was all swelling up we moved to 0.50ml twice a day (1ml a day = 1.5mgs =0.6mgs per kg) v approx.

0.6mgs per kg per day is the most recommended for usage for several days (high can be given as a one off after operations etc).

Vets usually give 0.3 - 0.6mg/kg per 24hrs to rabbts these days.
For a 3.16 rabbit that would be between 1.89ml and 3.79ml, so it is in the range, but at the lower end.

How did you work that out? I make it 0.6mg/kg (max daily dose) *3.16= 1.89ml daily (so rounded up to 2 in this case) ? Or is the cat metacam a different concentration to the dog one?

How did you work that out? I make it 0.6mg/kg (max daily dose) *3.16= 1.89ml daily (so rounded up to 2 in this case) ? Or is the cat metacam a different concentration to the dog one?

Cat and dog metacams are different

Dog is 1.5mg/ml

cat 0.5mg/ml :wave:

Yes they are - my calculation was the dog one at 1.5mg per ml (as in the calculation).

Back