• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a few questions

I've been asking lots of questions recently and thanks to everyone who has replied. I keep thinking of more questions so will just put them all here.
1. What are rabbits favourite fresh food treats. How much fruit/veg to I give my rabbit on top of his dry pellet food and hay.
2. My rabbit is in a big hutch in the garden with a large separate run which I move him to each day. When is the best time of day to get him out into the run, and for how long should he be in it.
3. Can I bring him into my kitchen as well so he is a partly indoor rabbit, or should I just stick to keeping him outside.
4. Can I have details of any rescue centre near me who can provide me with a bunny and help me to bond the rabbits together. I live in Walton on Thames, Surrey.
5. My rabbit really hates being held, and just about tolerates being scooped up and moved from the hutch to the run. Sometimes he lightly nips me. How do I stop him doing this.
Sorry to ask so many questions. Look forward to your replies.

I've been asking lots of questions recently and thanks to everyone who has replied. I keep thinking of more questions so will just put them all here.
1. What are rabbits favourite fresh food treats. How much fruit/veg to I give my rabbit on top of his dry pellet food and hay.
2. My rabbit is in a big hutch in the garden with a large separate run which I move him to each day. When is the best time of day to get him out into the run, and for how long should he be in it.
3. Can I bring him into my kitchen as well so he is a partly indoor rabbit, or should I just stick to keeping him outside.
4. Can I have details of any rescue centre near me who can provide me with a bunny and help me to bond the rabbits together. I live in Walton on Thames, Surrey.
5. My rabbit really hates being held, and just about tolerates being scooped up and moved from the hutch to the run. Sometimes he lightly nips me. How do I stop him doing this.
Sorry to ask so many questions. Look forward to your replies.

It's fantastic to hear that you are considering rescuing a bun!
I know that ARC is in Twikenham :wave: They'll have many bunnies and do bonding for you.
I put the foster bunnies in the run as soon as I wake up and when it gets dark apart from if I'm at college where they get put out as soon as I get home and put away when it get's dark.
Would it be possible to attach the run?

As long as you give him a small hutch or large carrier to hide in, I'd keep him out all day. Make sure you have his bottle and food in their though, and keep checking on him, you don't want foxes near.

I foster for ARC - we have LOADS of bunnies looking for homes.

Check out their website (in my signature)

Well done on deciding to offer a home to rescue bunnies :)

P.S We also do bonding! :wave:

1. What are rabbits favourite fresh food treats. How much fruit/veg to I give my rabbit on top of his dry pellet food and hay. Has your bunnyhad any fruit or veg before? If not, then you need to introduce them very slowly. Only introduce 1 at a time. I would start with cauli leaves, spring greens, herbs (basil, mint, parsley, dill), carrot tops. I wouldnt introduce fruit just yet, but bunnies can eat tiny amounts of fruit, i only feed mine fruit once a week :)

2. My rabbit is in a big hutch in the garden with a large separate run which I move him to each day. When is the best time of day to get him out into the run, and for how long should he be in it. You can put your bunny out anytime of the day. I normally put mine out around 3pm and bring them in about 7pm when its getting dark. However, if your in during the day and can keep an eye on your bunny, then im sure he will enjoy longer in his run :) Give him something to hide in, like a carrier, so if anything scares him, he will have somewhere to hide.

3. Can I bring him into my kitchen as well so he is a partly indoor rabbit, or should I just stick to keeping him outside.Personally, i would keep him outside in this weather. If you start bringing him in, then putting him back out again he wont have a proper winter coat. The temperature change isnt good for them either.

4. Can I have details of any rescue centre near me who can provide me with a bunny and help me to bond the rabbits together. I live in Walton on Thames, Surrey. I dont live in this area, so cant help. Have you looked on rabbitrehome?

5. My rabbit really hates being held, and just about tolerates being scooped up and moved from the hutch to the run. Sometimes he lightly nips me. How do I stop him doing this. Rabbits are prey animals and like to keep all 4 feet on the floor. Dont chase him round the cage to try and get him... you need to sit on a chair and talk to him, offer him treats out your hand... he needs to learn to trust you :)

My rabbit hated being picked up at first. We've had her a month now and she likes it now! I found it easiest to pick her up when she was distracted with food in her mouth or when she had just finished eating a treat (ie cabbage leaf). I gradually increased the time I held her for and always gave her a treat when I put her down. She now sits near her cage very still, and waits to be picked up. I still give her a treat when I put her down so I think this is what she is after, but she is now much more relaxed being held :) Hope it helps!

My rabbit hated being picked up at first. We've had her a month now and she likes it now! I found it easiest to pick her up when she was distracted with food in her mouth or when she had just finished eating a treat (ie cabbage leaf). I gradually increased the time I held her for and always gave her a treat when I put her down. She now sits near her cage very still, and waits to be picked up. I still give her a treat when I put her down so I think this is what she is after, but she is now much more relaxed being held :) Hope it helps!

Omg, your rabbit in your avatar is like Jez'z twin :shock:
He hates being picked up too

If you would be interested in rehoming via ARC. We have foster homes in the Twickenham area and also close to junction 3 of the M3. All our enquiries are centrally dealt with to ensure that we maintain consistency and also to prevent more than one enquiry being dealt with for any rabbits at any time. If you are interested in adopting from ARC please either ring 01276 489308 or email janice@animalrescueandcare.org.uk. If you email us, we will send you a rehoming questionnaire for you to complete and return to us.

ARC will assist with bonding your rabbit to one or more of ours.

Back