• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it possible for a vaccinated bun to get VHD?

There's always a small chance the vaccine wasn't administered correctly or it was a deficient batch, but those odds are very small indeed.

I also don't think it's possible.

Why do you ask?

Because one of my rabbits died last night and another has been taken into the vets tonight but know body knows what is wrong with them so I am looking at the different diseases myself

Thanks guys, both were vaccinated earlier this year so its not like they are almost due their next one x

I really don't think so hun. We don't use any chemicals in the garden and I am still on the same bale of hay I have been using for the past month now, nothing could have gotten onto that because its kept in a bin and I am the only person who opens it. All veg is washed in water and I just use vinegar to clean their trays and stuff which is always rinsed before its put back. Anything they have eaten Trip and Scarlett have also eaten but the pair of them are totally fine at the moment :cry:

Did you start a new bag of food or anything recently?

How very horrible for you. I hope they can find out what is going on.

I hope your bunny is ok.

I opened a new bag of food yesterday but Buu never got the chance to eat any, and they went a couple days without pellets before yesterday because I ran out mid week and can only get to the place I buy their food from on the weekend. So it was just hay and fresh veg, which is normal for them really because they only get a few pellets as a treat anyways

VHD was my first worry only because Trip and Scarlett are just due their vaccinations this month, that is what they were supposed to be going in for tonight x

When I had a very sick rabbit at the vets (Izzy) and the rabbit savvy vets suspected VHD as a possibility I asked if my vaccinated rabbits were at risk and they said that VHD vaccine gave 100% protection (or words to that effect but not to worry whatsoever for the vaccinated rabbits).

Whatever it is I hope he's okay and that you get to find out what it was to help you deal with it.

Last edited:
Thanks hun

I really don't think its grief :( He just went from running around the room like a maniac to just laying there all limp barely moving and not responding to me, it happened so quickly. He wasn't actually bonded with Buu, and it wouldn't have been usual for him to see her really. Also he does look thinner to me than he did say two days ago as he was laying down and stretching out, his weight has never stayed consistent like the others though and he has also been moulting this last week

I don't evem know what to do :cry: Im not feeling well myself and am just giving muself an awful headache x

I really don't think its grief :(

Hi sorry, I changed my post as I read your other thread and realised that grief was extremely unlikely.

I really hope he improves soon, I can't imagine how awful it must be to lose one so suddenly and then have the worry about another straight after.

Really sorry for your loss. I would probably be thinking about EC or possibly coccidiosis http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/coccidiosis_general.PDF

I would get a pm done and start the others on 28 days of panacur just in case and make sure you keep them off any grass the others where on for at least a year if it does proove to be coc, 4 months if ec. make sure you jays fluid any hutch/bottles & trays and rinse very well before using it with the other bunnies

I was going to suggest poss EC - the limp bit rang a bell.

I lost a bun this week really suddenly - Weds morning he was fine - lunchtime I found him laid limply on his side. We syringe fed and fluid him for 2 days but he never really recovered and just 'sat'. He then fitted slightly and died on Fri lunchtime.

My vet says she things maybe EC was moving up the nerve into the cranial as it does and instead of taking the 'normal' head tilt route ended up affecting 'something essential'.

Whatever it was it was def. intercranial and probably neurological. All of body had been triple checked.

I am so sad we lost him - but it made me think about some 'sudden deaths' perhaps being this.

I was going to suggest poss EC - the limp bit rang a bell.

I lost a bun this week really suddenly - Weds morning he was fine - lunchtime I found him laid limply on his side. We syringe fed and fluid him for 2 days but he never really recovered and just 'sat'. He then fitted slightly and died on Fri lunchtime.

My vet says she things maybe EC was moving up the nerve into the cranial as it does and instead of taking the 'normal' head tilt route ended up affecting 'something essential'.

Whatever it was it was def. intercranial and probably neurological. All of body had been triple checked.

I am so sad we lost him - but it made me think about some 'sudden deaths' perhaps being this.

Thank you hun x And I am sorry for your loss x

Back