• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

checking neuter wounds

Bex09

Warren Scout
Any ideas how I can check my boys' neuter wounds? One is really not keen on being picked up at all and they won't let me tip them onto their backs to check them and I know I need to make sure there is no swelling, etc each day. I'm worried trying to force them will call more damage as they kick out so much. :? Any ideas greatly received.

Could you use food to encourage them to stand up at the bars of their cage? then you can have a look while they are standing up.

Other than that, I tend to check mine when I pick them up which isn't very helpful.

Thanks I tried that and all I can see is their fur, no pink bits, cuts, etc. Does that sound normal? I certainly couldn't see any wounds.

i cudnt see lollipops unless i parted his fur then he had like two fleshy bits with stiches down one side of each so you may need to try to have a poke about i found that he wud let me turn him over if i sat with him strokin him for a few min first with his head one my shoulder then gently turned him i dont no if that helps at all :)

You should be able to see both the testicles and the wounds on them and also how swollen they are. The only way I could do that was to pick them up. Could you maybe blow them and use a torch for extra light? I'm getting good images here :D

My little boy was just neutered on Friday - I stand him up with his back feet still on the ground. The other way you can do it is to lift his back side up with his front paws still on the ground and pull the fur apart that way. However, my rabbit is very placid and will put up with any holding, poking and prodding. :lol:

Right... torch in hand!! :lol: I'm off to try and poke about a bit! My poor buns will think I'm mad and as for my O/H, he just thinks I've lost the plot. :lol:

Back