• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toy suggestions please :)

Im having to completely pave the whole of my rabbit set-up due to one of my lovely bunnies being allergic to something possibly in the soil (expensive biposy + confuzzled vet). So need ideas on boredom busters since i've taken away their fun...! lol

Before they had two very large handmade runs either side of their 6ftx4ft cage and I had dug out tunnels (strengthened with burried bunny warrens) and covered with grass. With all the grass to munch and tunnels to race around in, they never seemed to be bored (apart from yearly digging frenzy). However, now I have to pave the lot removing their main source of fun.

Anyway, I am now going to start from scratch with a 5ftx3ft insulated shed (straw ins). I am building a shelving system inside it so they have lots of ups and downs etc to keep them happy inside and a little hole to the outside pen. The pen itself will be like a giant aviary approx 16ft x 4ft. I can put their boxes back in and I have tuns of those fabric tunnels, but am stuck for other toys to use. Im reluctant to use wood logs for chewing as It could aggrivate honey's skin when she chews (she gets a crusty nose - not syphallis, pasturella or mites -dont worry, we've been trying to treat it for about 2 years now! ruled those out)

If i use cardboard boxes in the run they will just get soggy :( and melt. I've spoilt the bunnies well in the past, but they didnt seem to care about the normal plastic bunny toys (just ignored them lol) but this was when they had all that grass and tunnels! They didnt care for the seagrass stuff, it was just pushed aside. Same for the food balls, kebobs or mini weights etc - the usual toys you can buy.

They like willow balls (sometimes) and love those carrots you can hang up with sweets in the holes or the nibbly sticks with bits on to eat, but i am reluctant to give those to them very often for fear or bad tums, fat buns and bottom runs! lol

Im not good at short explanations as you can tell, but if you made it to the end... basically Im looking for some ingenious toys that will keep them skippy (that aren't sold at 'pets at home' :evil:). I'm happy to buy online if you guys can recommend, I'm in your hands :).

mine love baskets ,i usually fill them with hay when thats gone they throw and chew them up.i get them from the charity shops or carboot.ive tryed balls and toys and they dont use them,i also give them loo rolls filled with hay and a treat in the middle they go down well too.xx
oh and plastic baby keys they love them toox

Last edited:
How about using not-too-high plastic boxes and filling it with hay so they can get in and have a good rummage and chew?

I've also heard about people using plant pots and filling them with soil so they can have a good dig.

I've bought one of those carrot patch thingies but not sure how interested they are in playing with it, just munching on the straw!! Would probably also go soggy.

They like the plastic ball (also give them wood ones but you say they arent useful for yours)

The different heights thing sounds good, I want to get some steps for mine to see if they will learn to go up and down + good exercise I guess?

ooo, both of you are spot on! i think thumper would love the basket idea filled with hay - jumping digging and nibbling! Ebay!!!! lol
Flower pots filled with dirt is a GENIUS idea - I can buy seed soil so its not the soil from the garden and doesnt have bits - then fill a BIIIIG flower pot (I have many) so she can dig dig dig.

Thanks guys, you have my imagination whirring again! xxx

:wave::D

The plant pot idea isnt my idea though, I cant take credit for that, I read about it somewhere :oops::)

Back