• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do?/new rabbit *NEW U/D Page6*

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I am faced with a tricky decision. I only lost Hugo a few weeks ago but I have been offered another rabbit. Ordinarily I would have said no straight away as it's too soon but this isn't an open and shut case! Some of you may remember I reported one of my colleagues to the RSPCA because she was keeping 9 rabbits in tiny filthy cages, the RSPCA apparently said there was nothing wrong with them and so they are still living in those conditions. Well, her husband approached me today and said his wife may be 'wanting rid' of some of the rabbits, and if I was interested (and willing to pay :roll:) she may let me take one. It would have been easy for me to jump at the chance to save one of these buns but it means I would have to look them in the eye and leave 8 behind. I just don't know what to do. They live near to me and the thought of those poor rabbits in such awful conditions make me sick. Can't believe the RSPCA didn't do anything :censored: My husband has said he doesn't mind if I want to get another bun, it's so tempting but I feel as though I would be somehow betraying my little Hugason :( Also, if I decided to take one of the rabbits, which one would I take? The one in the smallest cage or the worst condition? I don't know :( Any advice/thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thank you :wave:

Last edited:
I'm sure Huggy bunny would be proud of you deciding to save a bunnies life from the squalor he/she's used to!

...could you save two of them...or three...or nine?!:shock::lol:

Whatever you decide will be best for you!:)

When i lost Kermit i thought the same as you, that i was betraying him by getting new buns.

But now that ive got Inca & Herbie, i realise that Kermit would approve. Kermit will always be my special boy, but im a bunny mummy again to these two, and they love being here.

Im sure that you will feel sad that the new bunny isnt Hugo, but then when you look at the new bunny and realise how much better their life is now you will realise that its the right choice.

As far as which one to take, goodness knows! Thats a tough one.

Good luck with whatever you decide, keep us updated xx

I'm sure Huggy bunny would be proud of you deciding to save a bunnies life from the squalor he/she's used to!

...could you save two of them...or three...or nine?!:shock::lol:

Whatever you decide will be best for you!:)

Thank you, I hope he knows that I would never try to replace him, he is irreplaceable :)
I've only really got room for one (althought i would love to be able to take them all) they are all beautifiul :love: but I have to be realistic (unfortunately) it will need neutered/spayed and vaccinated, plus may have other problems that will need sorted, so more than one new bun could prove expensive. My sister recently got her first bun and is totally smitten so she said she might take one. On one hand it's an easy decision, I feel like running round there now and grabbing them all, but I don't want to act on impulse, I would potentially be taking on a rabbit with issues...and how would I ever choose one and leave the others in that hell hole? :(

When i lost Kermit i thought the same as you, that i was betraying him by getting new buns.

But now that ive got Inca & Herbie, i realise that Kermit would approve. Kermit will always be my special boy, but im a bunny mummy again to these two, and they love being here.

Im sure that you will feel sad that the new bunny isnt Hugo, but then when you look at the new bunny and realise how much better their life is now you will realise that its the right choice.

As far as which one to take, goodness knows! Thats a tough one.

Good luck with whatever you decide, keep us updated xx

Thank you, Hugo was such a kind bunny, I think he'd approve of me helping somebun in need :)

I think Hugo would be happy that you are thinking of helping out one of these bunnies. It's a tough decision to make. You need to decide who would benefit your care the most.

I agree, that Hugo would know he was your special bun and would be happy and proud that you were trying to help his fellow bunnies out.

It must be so hard to think of those bunnies in dreadful conditions and to know which one to choose. Will she let you choose, or will she give you her 'least favourite' or the one with most needs?

Is there a rescue near to you that could take the remaning ones at all, if she decided she cant handle the responsibility any more?

I'm so surprised about the RSPCA as what is the animal welfare act for?!

Helping one bunny is better than helping no bunnies at all. Its probably all they've ever known and may not know any different. You just have to console yourself that you are doing all you can for them and at the end of the day she is the one responsible. Can you try and educate her, give leaflets, print out rabbit info and take it to her etc?

Remember Hugo, and what he was like....do you genuinely think he'd want you to leave a bunny to suffer to avoid betraying him? i know it is so hard taking on a new bunny after such a sad loss and if you're not ready that's fine, but you shouldn't feel bad about it on Hugo's behalf, buns are very wise and he will know you love him as much as ever, no matter how many other buns come into your life.

I went to look at the rabbits this morning, they are even worse than i remember. I fell for a little female (a harlequin I think) she was in a tiny cage sitting 3inch thick in her own mess, no straw, hay, food or water :cry: The woman wasn't at home so her husband (reluctantly) let me look at the buns, he knew they were in a shocking state but his wife wears the trousers from what I can make out. I've got a bad feeling she is gonna end up changing her mind about letting me have one of the rabbits, I pray she doesn't :( The other thing that troubles me is that her husband hinted that she's thinking about breeding two of them :cry: I have to do something to help these rabbits - I'm going to try and convince her to let me take one and once it is safe with me, I will ring the RSPCA and beg them to do something. I feel physically sick and I'm trembling with rage.:cry: :censored:

Oh no, ots just dreadful what some people think is acceptable care.
I do hope that she lets you have one....i know that in an ideal world you would love to take them all, but saving one is better than saving none.
Ill check for updates later and hope its good news. x

You poor thing having to see that and know you can't do anything about it! Good luck getting one of them out of that hell hole! I'd try the RSPCA again! (Ask to see them again and take pictures...if possible.)

I forgot to mention earlier that the woman was supposed to ring me when she got home to let me know if she'd let me have a rabbit - she was meant to ring me by 2pm today but I haven't heard from her :( I really hope she hasn't changed her mind :(

You're doing a great thing and Hugo would be proud - he knows how lucky that little bun would be.
Hopefully this awful woman will ring you back - I'm sure she will if she thinks she can make a bit of money from it. I just cannot believe people can treat animals like this? Where is she based (not because I want ot hunt her down, promise :?)? I could see if I could take one (needs to be a girl as have indoor boy bun). What I'd really like to do is buy them all off her and take them somewhere safe. Stupid :censored: evil :censored::censored:

Still haven't heard from her :( I haven't got her number and don't want to go to her house because I don't want her to think I'm too keen (she's the sort of person who'd say I can't have the bun if she thought I really wanted it :roll:) If I don't hear from her today I'm going to walk past her house a few times tommorow to see if I can 'bump into her' ;)
Failing that, I'll wait til Friday and play it casual, which will be so hard...I can't get those buns out of my head. I'm on a course tonight for work but I'm not going to be able to concentrate. Poor buns - if anyone has any spare good luck vibes, they would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for your support everyone :wave:

Sending huge good luck vibes. I'm sure it's difficult to get them out of your head but thank goodness there's someone that cares. I cannot believe the RSPCA have done nothing. :evil: I know they do a great job and it's very often down to the individual inspector but why is it they seem to make less effort for the buns? Keep us posted. That woman sounds like an utter :censored:

Oh no!!! Can you contact the RSPCA to find out more about why nothings happened? Can you speak to a manager or make a 2nd complaint about it? Or could you even go above their heads - ie do the police have more powers when it comes to animal cruelty??

Remember to look out for your own safety too - I hope the couple dont turn nasty on you. Do you have a friend or partner you can go with?

It makes me very sad too. You are doing your best. Persevere if you can (safely).

Helen

Sending lots of support vibes your way, you're doing a great job, well done you for taking action, keep us posted xx

I haven't slept all night thinking about those buns. I didn't hear from the woman yesterday so I just bit the bullet this morning and knocked on her door.....She said I can have the bunny for £15 and pick her up whenever I want. I can't believe it, she's actually gonna let me take her :shock: She said she wants to breed some of the others to 'make a few quid' :( As soon as I get this bun safely home, I'm going to do everything I can to get the RSPCA to take action. I took a picture of the bun this morning but it's on my phone and I can't find the flippin data cable :censored: Will post pic when I find it.
I am in total shock, I was convinced she wasn't going to let me have one. .

Great news for that one bun, he/she will be very lucky and you have to remember that you are doing all you can for the rest of them. One is better than none. I think your plan for taking the one and then doing something again about the rest is the best way. We are all behind you and wishing we could help too. Well done for persevering!!

Back