• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accomodation for 2 rescued Giants

smashed

Young Bun
We have rescued 2 giant rabbits (a boy and girl but unsure which breed). We found them on the outskirts of a village but nobody wanted to claim them.
They are inseperable, friendly and don't mind being picked up, or being pawed by our cat, which has suddenly realised it is no longer the biggest pet in the house.
At present they are in a rabbit run, which has various protection from the elements, but we now need to find them suitable accomodation.
The hutches that I see online do not look big enough, and I think a full shed is too big for our garden, though a half height shed would be nice. Can anybody please advise on suitable housing? Dog kennels also looked good, but I would need to find 1 with a removeable roof for cleaning.
To compound my dilemma, neither have been 'done'. The boy hasnt had his bits drop yet, but we are very concerned about them breeding.
Any advise on how best to sort this issue would also be appreciated. (Finding accomodation that can be temporarily split is making this even harder and I doubt that he can be fixed at present?).

Just to add: They are not the worlds biggest rabbits or anything. They are the same size as our 1 year old cat I would say , though I dont know how much more growing is in them.

Last edited:
Sheds, wendyhouses and bike stores make great housing for all rabbits but especially giants. You can pick up bikes stores and sheds for about £100.

I would get them both to the vet if I were you to assess them for neutering and to confirm that you are definitely right in 1 of each.

Well done for taking them in :wave:

Completely agree with the above you could probably get a second hand wendy house/ playhouse from freecycle or ebay which would be perfect. You are right in that a huth would be too small. Once you know what sex they both are I would definately get them neutered/ spayed. Most importantly you need to post pics :)

My gf was a Veterinary Nurse, so we are ok for the sexing etc. We did also take to the local vet as there was a chance they were chipped. The issue is when we can get him fixed as we really dont need a load of babies on the scene.
I have been looking at the sheds etc, but finding the room for it is the hardest thing, especially as we are in the middle of landscaping the garden from scratch.
Hopefully a bargain 6 x 4 will appear on the scene, as it could always be split in half in the meantime.

As requested..
DSC01088.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

Thanks for all the input :)
The pics dont really do justice, it was dusk when they were taken..hence the redeye.
We did wonder if they were house rabbits as they seem well litter trained, though they also have a favourite spot in the garden.
I know it isn't the right place to ask, but does anybody know how old they have to be before they can be fixed? I am guessing that I will just have to wait until they are fully developed? (not knowing their age doesnt help).

Thanks for all the input :)
The pics dont really do justice, it was dusk when they were taken..hence the redeye.
We did wonder if they were house rabbits as they seem well litter trained, though they also have a favourite spot in the garden.
I know it isn't the right place to ask, but does anybody know how old they have to be before they can be fixed? I am guessing that I will just have to wait until they are fully developed? (not knowing their age doesnt help).

Boys can usually be done from 12 weeks of age but some develop a little later than others. Most vets will spay a female at 5-6 months.

Its going to break my heart to have to split these 2 up in the meantime. You give them 2 carrots or 2 beds, and they just share 1 of each.

It must be very difficult when you find buns but dont know their history.If you dont know their age,how can you be sure the doe has not already been spayed?Thats the problem,you dont.They are such beautiful buns.You are so lucky to have come across them.:D

Hi

they are amazing bunnies to have been dumped I'm surprised no one has claimed them
and by the way are the the person who rang me from the Leicester/Notts border?
As they already look to have grown quite well I would split as the boy could already be fertile..they may have already been done??

My rabbit who is getting on a bit (lives with parents since I moved out)
DSC01036.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

The new recruits (at dusk still)
DSC01082.jpg

Still searching for the perfect home for them :)

We house our giants in 6ft by 2.5 ft by 2.5ft hutches made by Happy Hutch. These are alright for overnight but in daylight they must have access to an enclosure or the whole garden of course. We put a shelf in the bedroom end instead of the partition, which gives them more room, and the lower head height under and on the shelf makes it a warm area. Our huge 7kg Gaia and her son love their shelf:) They are great for other rabbits too, I now regard 6ft by 2ft by 2ft hutches as small. We now have 10 of the big ones:D That extra 6 inches makes such a difference.

I hope you have separated them. There is no way she has been spayed, and gorgeous as the babies might be there could be over a dozen of them:shock: Gaia had 13 I was told.

Last edited:
Oh,
I was working on the basis that they prefer the run to the hutch. A 2m run seemed good, and the 4.5ft hutch with decent height would be ok for them to sleep in.
The search continues

Oh,
I was working on the basis that they prefer the run to the hutch. A 2m run seemed good, and the 4.5ft hutch with decent height would be ok for them to sleep in.
The search continues

In general they will, you are correct but when it rains or is really cold they will want to snuggle up inside. They may well have a fair bit of growing left to do and could easily be about 2 feet long whilst lying down so that would only leave a few inches either side of them assuming they took an end each :wave:. What about something like http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/Sheds-and-Outdoor-Storage/Shiplap-Apex-Shed-6x4/invt/639101 ?

Back