• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milly could be Willy!

mummypig

New Kit
I have recently rehomed 2 baby rabbits from the RSPCA and took them for a general assessment and their first jabs this morning. It seems that Lottie is definitely a Lottie, but Milly might not be what she seems!

The vet checked to see that they were both girls, as we'd been told, but wasn't sure with poor Milly (they are about 15 weeks old). She had it checked by 2 further colleagues and none of them could say for certain. I saw a penis pop out, but they were all unable to feel the testicles. So i have been told to take them back in a month so that they can (hopefully) make a better judgement.

Now, the problem is that I have a male and female living together (possibly). I spent a long time looking for the right hutch, and there is no way of separating them in there. The vet has advised us to keep them separate, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Obviously we don't want more baby bunnies...are they too young to reproduce?

How shall I break it to the children that the girls are no longer the girls!?! lol

I'm not annoyed with the RSPCA or anything, I know it's hard to sex rabbits - especially after 3 vets cannot come to a conclusion. My sister is a veterinary nurse, so I'll get her to check next week but in the mean time what should I do?

Anna

Me thinks they can breed from 12 weeks:shock:
Do separate them....you may have had a lucky escape........
Best of luck.
Im sure your daughters wont mind..kids get over stuff...xxxx

Seperate them for now. Is there another hutch or cage you can borrow off someone? You'll need to explain to your kids that they MUST NOT play together - the buns that is! How old are your children? If they're quite young still you could just say that if on is a boy and one is a girl they won't like playing together, and might fight and get hurt. They'll be able to relate to this I expect!

Hopefully they're both girls and they can be reintroduced when you know for sure.

Last edited:
Back