• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm doing the best I can

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
But sometimes you just wonder if its enough....my bunnies get exercise,big hutches,good food and lots of love.

All my bunnies are vaccinated and I now have 3 with nodular myxi....I've just come back from the vets with a whole bottle of baytril as I now have 5 bunnies on it ....3 because they have myxi ,1 following treatment for an abcess and 1 with snuffles.

How is it that rabbits who get sod all attention,no vacs,rubbish diet etc etc manage to be so remarkably healthy in comparison??

I know what you mean. I knew zero about bunnies when i had my bunny when i was about 10 years old but somehow she lived till she was 8. She was put to sleep because the vet could feel a large tumour inside her :cry:

You are doing all you can and have just been unlucky. I know how unfair it must seem. Sending loads of vibes for your poorly buns xxx

But sometimes you just wonder if its enough....my bunnies get exercise,big hutches,good food and lots of love.

All my bunnies are vaccinated and I now have 3 with nodular myxi....I've just come back from the vets with a whole bottle of baytril as I now have 5 bunnies on it ....3 because they have myxi ,1 following treatment for an abcess and 1 with snuffles.

How is it that rabbits who get sod all attention,no vacs,rubbish diet etc etc manage to be so remarkably healthy in comparison??

I was having this exact debate with my Vet this morning.
My neighbours Nethie (called Bunny) lived to be 12. Never spayed, never vaccinated, lived free range in the garden (the Foxes never touched her !!) and was fed the crust of a white loaf and half a white cabbage A DAY.

Bunny had perfect teeth and at the age of 10 survived a spay for a Pyometra and then 2 cystotomies for bladder stones at the age of 11.

*SIGH*

I really hope your Buns with NM will recover well.

I'm like this. When we were kids I did all the hard work and it was always my buns that went to the bridge. My sister did as little as she could get away with and her bun live to 10 years old! :shock: My dad used to joke I killed them with kindness. :cry:

You can only do so much. A least your poorly buns are in the best possible hands, maybe it was meant to be that way. I hope your buns get better soon.

i wish i knew.. Alvin and Pearl are my first two rabbits. one has regular stasis and the other an enlarged heart that will end her well before her time.. its just not fair :evil:

i cant help but wonder what it is im doing to them :?

A colleague at work has a bunny...complains shes growly and etc etc,cant cuddle her, blah blah,so i ask if shes speyed.No,came the reply.Shes too old at 7!! Never vacced,never speyed,never any problems. And this girl said to me perhaps IM being too careful!!!!!!!!!! Amazing.

I am so sorry about your buns, I really hope they get better :cry:

Sometimes I honestly wonder if giving them myxi vacc is a complete waste and if it truly works?

TBH I think it can be the luck of the draw.

My brothers kids rabbit lived until he was 12yrs and was the sorriest bun I ever saw - I don't think he got out of his hutch (3ft max) in the whole of his life, despite me and my mum regularly asking if we could take him:cry:

So long as you know you are doing the best for your buns in terms of good diet, space, companionship etc etc then don't beat yourself up.
Imagine if your rabbits had been taken by someone with little knowledge or interest in them - they probably wouldn't still be here, so "yes!" you are doing enough for them.

Hope your bunnies get better soon.

Thinking about this...A human has for example,5 jabs of Tetanus then thats it.you need no more.What aout the bunny world??

We have lost count of the number of times we have taken in rabbits that have lived for years in the most awful conditions and have then only been with us a few months or weeks before going to the bridge after getting all the care and treatment they need:(

I hope all your bunnies are feeling better soon, its not easy having lots of bunnies ill at the same time xxx

I am so sorry about your buns, I really hope they get better :cry:

Sometimes I honestly wonder if giving them myxi vacc is a complete waste and if it truly works?

The answer to that is it does work in that it limits the severity of the myxi when they get it.

The ones of mine that are affected have nodular myxi which they stand a chance of recovering from ,had it been full blown myxi then I'd have had to pts so I'm glad theyve had the jab.

it doesn't seem fair sometimes but all you can do is the best for your animals while you have them
Wishing all your bunnies well x

I wonder whether we only hear about or remember the buns who survive against all odds in appalling conditions?

Doing our best for our buns cannot possibly MAKE them ill. Some of us just have bad luck. Above all, good conditions with consideration of their physical & psychological needs gives them a happy fulfilled life. Surely THAT is our duty to our pets?

I would just like to say, my rabbits are vaccinated, spayed/neutered, etc.

My friends arn't. We got our bunnies about the same time. My friend has had two deaths (and some before that). I have had none (although had one case of EC and one dislocated hip).

It's the luck of the draw, please don't feel what you do is worthless.

I know what you mean, I said exactly the same when my rabbit was ill to my boyfriend, and his reply was that even though Daisy was ill she knew all the hardwork, giving of medicine and affection etc etc was because we loved her dearly, and even though she passed away, I know deep down she knew we tried our best and gave her every chance we could.

Your rabbits may be ill, but at least they know you love them.

A friend of mine, knew somebody near the time I lost my rabbit who had a guinea pig who had been ill, they were going out that day so they left the pig knowing it was it's last day (as you do!!), they returned home to find it in the same place it was before they left (it had passed away) Nice people!!

I know exactly where you're coming from :( I've asked myself this so many times, especially as we've lost so many at relatively young ages :cry:

All we can do is our best & give them everything they need & should have. Thinking of all your poorly buns & sending them lots of vibes to be well again soon xxx

I often wonder the same, it seems that those who don't care have all the luck. I try so hard for my buns but have lost four in 14 months :cry::cry:

To be honest though we don't have any statistics on whether "neglected" buns regularly live longer, maybe it just seems that way when we hear of a few isolated cases, because it's so surprising to us.

You have to remember though that even if your buns pass away at a young age, they have known love and safety, and had companionship and space to play, which is infinitely preferable to a long life spent lonely in a tiny hutch.

Back