• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I put weight on my baby rabbits?

Bunnies1

Young Bun
Long story but basically the mummy rabbit decided after a week that she didn't want her babies, she dug them out the nest and then tried to attack them. We tried putting them back but she attacked them again. I think it's because she is only 5 months old and this was her 1st litter. We have been looking after them for 3 days now and feeding them kitten replacer milk. they have came on more since we have been looking after them but I don't think my rabbit was feeding them that much as they were quite skinny. Although they have put on weight, they need to put more on. What can I use to fatten them up?

All you can do is continue with the milk feeds.
If you introduce anything else or overfeed them they will become very poorly.
How often are you feeding them and how much ?

If the Buck was with your Doe when she kindled she will be pregnant again :cry:

he has ben castrated. He got out one day and got to Chloe and we now have this surprise litter. I feed them 2- 3 time a day. Would it help if I added goat's cream? it already has that in it but I wondered if extra would help? Also do you know if I should add any probiotic into their feed?

Did you try and get mum to supplement them? Is she still producing milk?

If she is, try holding her and then holding one kit to a nipple at a time. This will obviously need two people.

Nothing that is man made (i.e. kitty replacement milk, puppy replacement milk, etc) is really suitable for baby rabbits, and whilst you may have to use them, it far better to find a way to let them feed from mum if at all possible.

he has ben castrated. He got out one day and got to Chloe and we now have this surprise litter. I feed them 2- 3 time a day. Would it help if I added goat's cream? it already has that in it but I wondered if extra would help? Also do you know if I should add any probiotic into their feed?

I have used Full Fat Goat's Milk but not Goat's Cream so I cant advise on that but I would add a probiotic to their water. Better still add one of Mum's caecotrophs if you can harvest one from her. Assuming that she is healthy of course.

I used a mixture of Lactol for kitten and puppies, mixed with FULL FAT Goat's Milk and water.
This was however when they were 4 weeks and their mum rejected them due to her being pregnant again.
They are now 14 weeks and are nearly 1kg!

Back