• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 Rabbits stolen 3.10.09 - Bradford 12. ** THEY ARE BACK ** see last post

Shimmer

Warren Veteran
We were devastated to return home yesterday afternoon to find 2 of our 3 runs had been broken into. One rabbit was found loose in the garden. 2 others are missing. The front gate was left open but the garden is otherwise rabbit proof with a solid 6' fence round most of it, 4' by the gates. Due to the access to the runs and the way they were found, the rabbits have definitely been taken. All other items nearby were untouched (bikes, scooters, new folded up dog crate and new hutch, etc). No-one saw or heard anything. For most of the time we we out, there was a recruitment fair on at the community centre opposite our front gate so all the local police were there 'til 3pm. I have contacted the police but they are not interested and won't be following this up. I am posting here just in case anyone has any ideas or information to help find our missing buns.

The missing rabbits are both recently neutered males, about 2.5kg / 5lb (smallish) and we don't have any particularly good photos:

Nibbles: approx 2 yr old lionhead / English cross. White with black uppy ears, eye patches and butterfly nose marking. Few small black spots, mainly on flanks. Tufts between ears and long cheek fur. Very active. Slim build. Previous escapee - that's how we got him.

Shimmer: 1yr old lop. Sort of greyish brown colour with darker nose and ears. Bites. Very possessive of Bluebell, his partner (now safe inside) and aggressive to other rabbits, especially Nibbles.

Neither will be cuddly buns or make good pets for young children as they nip. There is no sign of them locally. We borrowed a dog to search the streets and green areas last night.

I spent all night making posters and we put them up along the high street and near key buildings. Tomorrow I can try local pet shops, vets, RSPCA, etc. All were shut 4.30pm last night (Sat).

Anything else I can do? :cry::cry:

Last edited:
How terrible,I can't understand people who theive other people's pets, for me, and most people on here it would be like someone stealing a family member. You just don't think of it, but I do have a pad lock on my new run, which is something I couldn't do on my hutches.

Good luck in finding them, hopefully someone will realise their personalities and return them or had them in a a vets.

Are they microchipped?

We were devastated to return home yesterday afternoon to find 2 of our 3 runs had been broken into. One rabbit was found loose in the garden. 2 others are missing. The front gate was left open but the garden is otherwise rabbit proof with a solid 6' fence round most of it, 4' by the gates. Due to the access to the runs and the way they were found, the rabbits have definitely been taken. All other items nearby were untouched (bikes, scooters, new folded up dog crate and new hutch, etc). No-one saw or heard anything. For most of the time we we out, there was a recruitment fair on at the community centre opposite our front gate so all the local police were there 'til 3pm. I have contacted the police but they are not interested and won't be following this up. I am posting here just in case anyone has any ideas or information to help find our missing buns.

The missing rabbits are both recently neutered males, about 2.5kg / 5lb (smallish) and we don't have any particularly good photos:

Nibbles: approx 2 yr old lionhead / English cross. White with black uppy ears, eye patches and butterfly nose marking. Few small black spots, mainly on flanks. Tufts between ears and long cheek fur. Very active. Slim build. Previous escapee - that's how we got him.

Shimmer: 1yr old lop. Sort of greyish brown colour with darker nose and ears. Bites. Very possessive of Bluebell, his partner (now safe inside) and aggressive to other rabbits, especially Nibbles.

Neither will be cuddly buns or make good pets for young children as they nip. There is no sign of them locally. We borrowed a dog to search the streets and green areas last night.

I spent all night making posters and we put them up along the high street and near key buildings. Tomorrow I can try local pet shops, vets, RSPCA, etc. All were shut 4.30pm last night (Sat).

Anything else I can do? :cry::cry:

How dreadful :cry:

I'd report it to the Police again but as a Theft of 'Property'.
They will be obliged to treat it in the same way as if someone stole a bike from your garden.

I have had a Rabbit stolen and thankfully I did get him back.

Jane I'm not very good at doing links - maybe cos I'm using a MacBook. Can you draw attention to this thread on general chat to help alert others in the area like you did for Alice when she had Myxi? I'd be so grateful if you can I have met Shimmer a few times and her girls will be heartbroken.

Jane I'm not very good at doing links - maybe cos I'm using a MacBook. Can you draw attention to this thread on general chat to help alert others in the area like you did for Alice when she had Myxi? I'd be so grateful if you can I have met Shimmer a few times and her girls will be heartbroken.

Done :)

im so sorry :cry: i dont understand how ppl can do this i really hope you find them my thoughts are with you

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for the loss of your buns :(

I would keep an eye on sites like Freecycle and Freeads in case who ever stole your buns decide to sell them or give them away when they realise they nip... if they do appear on these sites then it may be best to take a friend with you to collect them or just get a friend to go in case its actually someone who knows you that took them.

Good luck in getting them back!!

I'm so truly sorry.

I would suggest writing the story (maybe even just editing the post), and putting pictures on too and contacting all the vets within a significant area, also contact all the local rabbit rehomes and RSPCAs, put ads in the local paper, on the places like freecycle, etc. Ask that they keep an eye out for the long foreseeable future (I think vets might be the key one in that respect).

Just keep promoting your bunnies.

If you post it in public places then maybe ask they take them to their local vet or rescue centre if they can't/won't return them to you (this gives them an 'easier' way to return them, and the easier it can be for them, the more likely you may be to get them back).

I'm just so sorry. I can't imagine being in your shoes. It must be horrid.

Thats terrible.
I would stick posters up near petshops and let the shopkeepers know.
They might try sell them to the pestshops.

i agree with contacting local papers, or even your local news/radio stations and perhaps a post on the local freecycle cafe if you have one?

THEY ARE BACK- unharmed and safe now.

Thanks so much everyone.

A lady rang about half an hour ago to say that her son had just been given a bag with 2 rabbits in it. We raced down there (our local council estate) and Shimmer and Nibbles were together in an old sports bag - very spooked out but seem to be OK otherwise. These are 2 rabbits that I thought would take chunks out of each other if they got near each other at home. I never thought I would see them again.

My girls are much happier now and I can go and get some sleep. Sent the eldest 2 home with the buns and took the youngest down the high street to collect in the posters I spent all night printing and laminating. We were out at 7am sticking them up.

There are some good people out there.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.

Diane, Jasmine, Krystal & Tamzin

I'm so pleased to hear your good news (having a little tear in fact :oops:). you must have been going out of your mind with worry.

Such a relief they are back safely :D:D

Back