• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

beki

Mama Doe
After having a bit of a stressful time with Ruby's spay, i really wanted to rescue an already neutered male, but i fell for an unnutered nethie! doh! so i was wondered, is a neuter less risky than a spay? becasue it is not such a big opereation is it? I will still have to keep him indoors etc and restricted from jumping for a while won't i..but ruby didn't eat for about 24 hours and i was getting really worried!

After having a bit of a stressful time with Ruby's spay, i really wanted to rescue an already neutered male, but i fell for an unnutered nethie! doh! so i was wondered, is a neuter less risky than a spay? becasue it is not such a big opereation is it? I will still have to keep him indoors etc and restricted from jumping for a while won't i..but ruby didn't eat for about 24 hours and i was getting really worried!

Castration for males is a much simpler and more straightforward Op, it is also far less invasive. Yes pain relief and a good vet is important too - but most male buns are back on their feet the same day or the next so try not to worry. :D:wave:

Hi

My Nethie buck was neutered on Tuesday morning and I brought him home Wednesday teatime and you wouldn't know from his behaviour he had had anything done. Had indoor cage all ready but vet said as it was mild he could go in his usual hutch with plenty hay to keep warm. As I've said in another thread I would recommend finding a small animal vet who is used to doing these ops. She kept him on heat pad and close eye on him for the time he was in there and won't let home till he was eating, drinking,weeing and pooing normally. I'm glad I didn't have the worry of checking him for these things, they are a worry enough at times.
Good Luck!

My experience is the same, Louie was neutered on Friday. I set up a recovery run for him in the conservatory with heatpad, towels in his bed etc. I put him in and he was doing his usual biting the bars and attempting to get out.

I just let him freerange as normal but didn't let him in the garden until the next day. He was a bit quiet on Friday and Saturday but totally back to normal today.

My experience is that it is much easier for boy rabbits to be neutered then girl rabbits.
I lost my 4mth old lionhead female fluffy back in January through the operation and have always blamed myself for taking her their to have it done. My other female who was neutered at 8mths of age has had nothing but problems with her digestive system and now she has a tumour in her stomach which they can't do anything for her, she is only 3yrs old.
I decided never to get a female rabbit again and just keep to male rabbits.

Im having my Nethie (see pic below) neutered on Wednesday so will let you know how it goes.... All I can say is make sure you have a good bun savvy vet! I could only have him booked in on Wednesday as thats whent he bun savvy vet is operating :D

Good luck with whatever you choose but it is meant to be easier for the boys as they arent opened up as such........

i had lollipop done just over a week ago he did stop eattin prop for a couple of days but i think thats to be expected (it still worried me though0 but he is fine now and cant wait to get back to the girls when his time is up lol

Lenny was done on the friday last week. He was eating hay as soon as he came around from the anesthetic :lol:. Then at home weeing, pooing, eating and drinking as normal..silly really. Max was abit slower to adjust, but all was well.

When I got Lola done I will never forget how ill she looked when I went to pick her up, but she's fine now.

I still need to get Brian done and Jemimah. I'm absolutely dreading Jemimah's spay. :cry:

The male castration is simpler than the female spay.

Im having my Nethie (see pic below) neutered on Wednesday so will let you know how it goes.... All I can say is make sure you have a good bun savvy vet! I could only have him booked in on Wednesday as thats whent he bun savvy vet is operating :D

Good luck with whatever you choose but it is meant to be easier for the boys as they arent opened up as such........

Youre having Rimmis pockets picked??? Oh no!!!!!!!!:shock:
That means that he will be Unique!! The One and Only Rimmi!!! Gah!!!

phew i am glad it is a bit easier on boys. I will be calling the vets tomorrow to see when they can get him in. Will have to think about a couple of days off work again i think to watch him....not sure when i can manage that!

Back