• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Harnesses...to use or not!

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
I saw someone write on here that they are bad for the bun...What are other people's views? I've always thought they were fine unless the bun didn't like it and struggled. Ted is very calm in his and doesn't mind it.

Personally I wouldn't use them. I used one on my rabbit Daisy, a long time ago. The lead got wrapped around her leg, she was panicking and actually screamed :(

It definately put me off them.

I think I understand why, but could you explain. Is it because even the most laid back, placid bun can scare?:)

Yes :)

And as Lily says, if Bun was spooked (easily happens with any animal of prey) and struggles he/she may sustain a nasty injury. Not being able to run away will make Bun go into panic mode.

i used one once on Ruby, she had been harness trained from a baby and was very good on it. But then she managed to wriggle out of it and i had to catch her quickly before she get into next door's garden so i didn't bother trying again!

i always wondered what the nightbours might think about me walking a bunny on a harness! but then they probably think i am weird becasue when i was getitng my kittens used to the outdoors after they spay i took both of them out in the back garden on harnesses. I must have looked really odd!

I used to take G + P out on their harnesses all the time. They were completely fine with it. I introduced them as babies because we have a massive, open garden, and I wanted them to have some freedom while staying safe.

I've had to stop now though, because the grass has been contaminated by wildies.

I tried Pie with one awhile back. She was fine with it around her body but as soon as the clip went around her neck she went mad. Squealing and hyperventilating. I rang my mum for help as she stuggled so much, I couldnt get near her. She ended up biting my mum so hard on the hand it went almost to the bone. That wasnt the Pie I know :(

So I wouldnt use one again. It upset both me and Pie, and she's the soppiest bun I know.
However saying that I have seen them used successfully, but it still doesnt sit well with me personally.

I have tried one once on Mischa and once on Mini, both times they have managed to wriggle out within a few minutes.

I was given one by my brother for the buns for christmas a few years back. I haven't used it though, and don't think I ever will. I think they're dangerous. and my buns are free-range anyway so wouldn't need it :)

Normally I would agree that there are potential dangers, especially with a lead attached.
But in YOUR case I have seen Teddy on "Binkies & hops" thread. My personal thoughts are that he is totally comfortable with it on free ranging. In your situation it probably makes free ranging more secure, by giving an extra place to catch him in emergencies.

when daughter and i got our buns, we bought all the peripherals, including harnesses. my bunnies struggled so much, i never really used them. but what are they for?

in the garden, my buns go in a run. i wouldn't take them out for a walk because if a neighbouring rottweiler decided to eat them, how could i stop him?

daughters bunnies are of a different nature, and submit to everything. i know she has used her leads in the back yard, but not often.

i would say no as well because when i got messy froma rescue thingy they went his owners used to walkhim on a leash i tryed to put the harness on i was sucessfulll he was hopping around but he wentunder his house thingy and his haarness got caught and his foot traped and he even squaled i wouold deffo say no :)

I think saying that they are dangerous is a bit over the top. They can be very useful and I think it all depends on the bunny, and obviously they need to be used carefully.

Both of my house buns are used to harnesses and I have no reservations in using them sometimes. My garden is very safe for them to go out in, so they don't need harnesses there but my parents garden is really massive and not at all bunny proofed, plus there are gods in the gardens on either side. My buns go to my parents for a few weeks a year, either whilst I'm visiting or when I go on holiday. So when they are there they go in the garden on their harnesses and lead for a bit of fresh air and a hop around. Sometimes they go out in other places which are semi safe so I take the lead off but keep the harness on in case I need to grab one of them. They're supervised at all times so providing the harness is not distressing the bun I don't see any issue.

I am sure there are other people on here that will find themselves in similar situations, and if its a case of the bunny either stays in his/her hutch, or has a hop around the lawn on a lead I think I know which I'd go for.

Please may I clarify my previous post, by "potential dangers" I did not mean that they were dangerous full stop. I Simply meant that thought needs to be given about what would happen if a bun panicked.
They are obviously necessary for "bunny hopping".

I have taken Rimmi to the ornimental garden... which is basically a big green park with loads of flower beds etc where people lounge around and lie in the sun etc and also taken him to the cricket ground with me whenever my OH was playing so he could play on the grass, hes never been bothered with the harness but I always keep him on a short lead that I hold up so he cant get tangled anyways..... and as for startling.... he always has his carry case with his snuggle bed (and water bottle) inside so he can hide if he wishes. He really enjoyed being out ont he grass... mind you, that was in a village so it was REALLY quiet lol.

I dont think harnesses are a danger... but that depends on where, why and the bun. I wouldnt use the harness on Rimmi if I didnt need to when I took him to the cricket ground but that would be even more unsafe. If he ever had a bad event on the harness then I would not take him out again.

I think the main reason I took him out is because I didnt want him left alone all day. I dont know what will happen next year when I have two buns.... Im very close friends with the owners etc of the cricket ground so they might let me buy a run to keep there so we'll see but I prob def wont have TWO buns on a harness...

Whoops... I waffled!! :D

Mind you... mine is a flat cloth one... not a string one.. I think those are awful!!

IMG00151-20090831-1615.jpg

IMG00146-20090831-1551.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Thumps! He really doesn't mind it and is easier to catch him when he's being naughty!!:lol::lol:

I personally don'y have a problem with them...but have never had a bad experience! (Which will count for a lot!)

The only thing that spooks Ted is planes, so that's not a problem! I had him out in the communal garden where we have moved to as it's the only place with grass:( and would never have been able to if I didn't have a harness. It's massive...and there are allotments...can you imagine?!:shock::shock:

Thank you Thumps! He really doesn't mind it and is easier to catch him when he's being naughty!!:lol::lol:

I personally don'y have a problem with them...but have never had a bad experience! (Which will count for a lot!)

The only thing that spooks Ted is planes, so that's not a problem! I had him out in the communal garden where we have moved to as it's the only place with grass:( and would never have been able to if I didn't have a harness. It's massive...and there are allotments...can you imagine?!:shock::shock:

Ive never had a bad experience either but that would def sway me....

Would be sad to deprive Rimmi of his summer visits to the gardens though, I dont have a garden and I like him to be able to nibble grass and dig up the flower beds like a normal bun.

He loves going to the cricket ground, he gets lots of attention at the end of the game and gets to play on the grass and have 1 to 1 attention from me for hours... lol!!

Don't you worry about whether the grass might be contaminated TeflonsShadow, like from dogs - or for that matter that a dog might get hold of him?

Back