• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding odd behaviour or normal? HELP!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
I am trying a different bonding process with spudsey and new bun bramble that i did with her and squirrel. They have been living side by side for almost a week then yesterday i put a different run next to spudsey that enabled her and bramble to touch noses....i thought they were attacking each other as both of them kept sniffing then going up on their back legs and attacking the mesh with their front feet!:shock: it got better more sniffing than the other but trying again today and the same thing is happening!?
help!

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm so sorry, I've only just seen the thread where you lost Squirrel (the joys of working 20 miles away). I'm sorry for your loss.

Have you tried them on neutral territory at all? If you have a biggish area and put some obstacles in it, if they take a dislike to each other, they can't just dive on each other.

Hugs

FC x

Hiya :wave:

Thank you.

No neutral terriotory was meant to be yesterday but thought I would try putting them a bit closer first to see how they got on. Now I'm worried they won't get on!

Hiya :wave:

Thank you.

No neutral terriotory was meant to be yesterday but thought I would try putting them a bit closer first to see how they got on. Now I'm worried they won't get on!

Hmmm. It may be worth taking them for a ride in the car and then introducing them on neutral territory. I've not tried it myself but it seems to work for a number of people.

I'm sure they will get on but sometimes you just have to give them a little bit of time to sort themselves out.

chucked them both in the carrier earlier where there was a slight scuffle and took them out in the car for 20 minutes. Absolutely fine. Got them back and once again spuds appeared to be attacking poor bramble through the mesh....though his hutch is currently sitting opposite hers and she has moved her seating position so she can see him :roll: either does like him or she is throwing him I hate you looks!

hey hun
i'm no expert in bonding but think once you did the car ride you should have put them straight in together in neutural territory. the problem was you put them back into their own areas which they will be protective about and you seperated them. i know it's very stressful. i did my first successful bond there 3 weeks ago. it just takes time and patients. best of luck.

hey hun
i'm no expert in bonding but think once you did the car ride you should have put them straight in together in neutural territory. the problem was you put them back into their own areas which they will be protective about and you seperated them. i know it's very stressful. i did my first successful bond there 3 weeks ago. it just takes time and patients. best of luck.

awww my goodness it is so confusing! I thought the car journey would substitute 20mins in another neutral area each day which is what was recommeded to me from the rescue centre. I took them out again today and they were really not happy so had to remove Bramble, in the process Spuds bit me :shock: will put them in the neutral area (my bedroom) tomorrow me thinks.

If I were you I would just stick them in neutral area and see what happens, how they react through mesh is not an indication of how they will be together as they will both be feeling like the other is invading their area

will put them in the neutral area (my bedroom) tomorrow me thinks.

make sure its a SMALL neutral area not your whole bedroom,also I wouldnt put a litter tray incase one bunny "claims" it and gets territorial over it.Best of luck!

I think putting them next to each other is asking for trouble. Rabbits like to fight. An argument is good fun for them.

Put them in the carrier and keep them with you for several hours. You can give them a water bottle or some nice juicy veg to keep them from getting thirsty. There should be plenty of hay in the carrier.

After a couple of hours try a bigger neutral space. Only separate them if they fight properly, by which I mean a proper rolling in a ball kicking fur flying scrap. One running away is fine, mounting is fine, hanging onto the back of the neck or shoulders is fine while mounting or trying to mount.

If they look agressive more time in the carrier might help. But don't separate them once you have started. If they don't settle after a couple of days try a new partner.

As you have let them argue already you may need to move them where they can't see eachother for a while so they forget the agression.

Thanks everyone for the advice. No I was going to put a run in my bedroom which is what I did the last time I bonded a year and a half ago. Will put bramble in his run away from Spudsey tomorrow so he can have a breather. Poor rabbit i do hope they make friends as Bramble is sooo lovely! He's been licking me already and is sooo friendly!

Tracy- thank you so much for the offer of bonding them for me but I'm not going to give up! Its so nice to see them eventually being friends :love:

Tracy....Spudsey and Bramble may be paying you a visit.....

I attempted to bond them today in a neutral area in my bedroom...oh my god! Spudsey was a bit skittish as she knew something was going on before I even put Bramble in with her, but when I did they were both rolling around on the floor together looking as though they were having a fight :shock::shock: I separated them and checked them both over, just some fur pulling going on it seemed so I tried again about 10 minutes later this time with o/h with me for moral support. Again it appeared as though they were fighting, but no marks or anything on either of them just alot of brambles fur I believe.

Decided to call it a day and put them both in their own runs :( Both going over to Paulas tomorrow for the week (holiday home) so whether we try again there I don't know....I'm not feeling too confident now.

Not a problem just drop me a line if you need my help.

Sorry you haven't managed it yet on your own.

One thing though you said that you put the buck in with her all ready in the pen, I find it works better if you put the buck in the pen first and then add the doe. It's the way the breeders do it when they are mating up and it seems to have some effect when just bonding aswell.

Not a problem just drop me a line if you need my help.

Sorry you haven't managed it yet on your own.

One thing though you said that you put the buck in with her all ready in the pen, I find it works better if you put the buck in the pen first and then add the doe. It's the way the breeders do it when they are mating up and it seems to have some effect when just bonding aswell.

Hi Tracy
No its proving difficult this time and I'm not feeling too confident which probably isn't helping! If I do try again at Paulas I will put bramble in the pen first. can't remember what i did last time :?
Will contact you next week if thats ok and let you know, are you in Rugby?

Hi,

I wish I could actually help you with the bond but I'm too far away.

I am not a believer in the side by side way of doing things as I believe that the behaviour that the buns demonstrate when like this doesn't always have anything to do with how they will be when they actually go in together, plus it often just takes much longer and still doesn't give the right results. I know it works for some people but I prefer the straight in together approach, on neutral territory always.

I have written a little leaflet about bonding which may help a bit if you want to still try and do it yourself.

PM me your e-mail address if you'd like a copy.

Helen

Have pm'd you thank you.

Tried again today at Paulas house, they had both been in their separate carriers as had been in the car for about half an hour. Put them both in quite a big area which was neutral to both of them, had one sniff of noses each then both having a scrap again! Tried once more and then separated them, getting a nice bite from Bramble in process.

Rescue have offered to take him back next week....have stupidly grown very attached and now wishing I hadn't given him a name :oops: O/h has suggested we keep him and just let them both live apart but I know bunnies are much happier in a pair so not sure what to do really!

Back