• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How old for first jabs? myxi advice - another Q sorry

kaths101

Warren Veteran
:wave: How old do bunnies have to be for their first jabs??

I have a 3 month old who hasnt had any yet?
im worried as my mum lives by a wood and has said she has seen lots of wild rabbits with myxi dead/dying :cry:- I dont live with my mum but can the virus get transferred through clothes/shoes etc. i have googled it but the info is so confusing...
Thanks

Last edited:
She is old enough to have her jabs (they can be vaccinated from 6 weeks) and I would get it done ASAP because there is a lot of myxi about at the moment.
I would get the myxi vac done first then wait two weeks and get the VHD vac done. The mxyi vac needs doing twice a year, the VHD vac once yearly :wave:

My vets isnt too expensive..about £8 per jab.it can be £12 at some vets.
Watch for a slight reaction to the VHD....it will probably be a little red patch at inj.site. Some vets dont use Cylap for VHD (which is quite thick stuff and thats the stuff bunnies have slight reactions to.)
The myxi jab is usually subcut with some of the jab then they pull out and pop some in the base of the ear...dont be alarmed if your vet does this.
Do get bun jabbed.....loads of myxi this year.xxxx:wave:

I forgot to say: mxyi is usually caught from biting insects such as mosquitos and fleas, so even if you rabbit lives alone indoors s/he could still catch mxyi.

Thankyou, will ring first thing tomorrow to get him booked in, is it possible to have the 2 jabs together??

:shock::shock:

Mine's £20 each!

yes my first bun was about £20 too - Im glad its not only me!! Another quick Q - do all buns need the VHD beacuse im just looking at my other buns vaccination card and she is only booked in for Myxi every 6 months?? thanks

yes all buns need it

the vaccine works really well - ask for Lapinject rather than Cylap - cylap often has side effects.

Is yearly rather than 6 monthly - and if you don't do it the actual disease is practically instant death.

Back