• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please think silky is poorly

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
hi. its a long story......
had 2 bunnies bob and cookie, they both died 2weeks ago aged 5 months, we had some saw dust from local joiners and we think its what killed them,, vet did postmortums and both bob and cookie were healthy other than enlarged livers:(
our kids were so devastated we have bought 2 new ones. they have both had there myxi jabs , but now silky is starting to not look herself. we have had the new ones for 1and half weeks silky is a rex and rex is a dutch.. silky is not interested in food or running round she is weeing but not pooing, im desperatly worried for her, i still feel awful about bob and cookie, any help greatfully recieved
thanks claire:cry:

If she isn't eating or pooing and she's not herself then you should take her to the vet, hun. Bunnies can go downhill quite quickly i'm afraid.

silky

hi,
i have just got back from the vets now, poor silky has a temp of 104, and stasis but the vet isnt sure which way round they have come.. she has had a gut stimulant injection and come fluid injection to rehydrate her and also a antibiotic injection. the vet has given me some injections to give her myself later.. did one at the surgery. and i have to take her back in the morning, so fingers x, on the plus side she has started to drink more and she has done lots of poo's this morning..
thanks for your concern x
claire

Has Silky been vaccinated against VHD ?

I dont wish to alarm you but if not and given what the PMs revealed on your two other Rabbits VHD is a real possibility :cry:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/VHD_UK.htm

If your Rabbit has not been Vaccinated please DO NOT go anywhere where there are other Rabbits and if you have any other Rabbits on the premises that are unvaccinated please contact the Vet ASAP and in the meantime use strict barrier nursing for Silky.

If Silky has not been VHD Vaccinated please try to get in touch with the Vet again NOW.

Last edited:
That's great news, sounds like she'll be ok. Well Done for acting quickly.

It always worries me when a bun doesn't seem too well and the poster doesn't post afterwards for a while:?

the vet who did the pm on bob and cookie said they were perfectly healthy apart from there inflamed liver she said there was no sign of disease at all,, well i'm off on the dandylion leaf hunt to see if i can tempt her.
thanks again
claire.:?

the vet who did the pm on bob and cookie said they were perfectly healthy apart from there inflamed liver she said there was no sign of disease at all,, well i'm off on the dandylion leaf hunt to see if i can tempt her.
thanks again
claire.:?

But has Silky been VHD Vaccinated ?

i think she is starting to pick up at last, i gave her one of her jabs an hour ago and then she ate 25 dandilion leaves, had a nibble on some broccoli and a bit of hay. she also cleared some sticky mucus from her botom and she had a little run round, she is tucked up indoors in her winter hutch now resting.. i soaked all dandi leave in water so she was getting some fluid off them to. i have to give her another jab in a few hours and another one in the morning before she gets another check up at the vets.. x:?

It sounds like you are doing a very good job nursing her. I hope she gets better soon xx

thanks:) i'm doing my best--lets just hope my best is good enough xx
i will let you all know how we get on..:)

dont forget though, that giving too many dandelion leves is bad for bunnies.It upsets their stomach if given in too much quantiites.

she has taken a turn for the worse today:cry: the vet has given poor silky a 20% chance of pulling through, she has past a 4inch worm and the vet thinks there are more to come, they have kept her in overnight.....i am dreading the phone call in the morning......we have grown very attached to her in the 2 weeks we have had her

Yuck I wonder how she's managed to pick the worms up. I take it that it was a tapeworm? Sorry if you've said so before but where did you get her from if you don't mind me asking?

Hopefully she'll be able to get medicine for internal parasites with fluids and such when she's in the vet. At least you know for sure that she's being looked after and is getting all the care she needs. Fingers crossed for good news in the morning.:(

If she gets through everything Ok mind and have her vaccinated against VHD.

yes rex is being treated for worms too but thank god he is showing no signs of illness at all , he is his usuall nutty mad self. x

Back