• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you feed your rabbit/s?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I just realised I hardly have any buns who need a food bowl anymore, and then just wondered what other people do.

I have a variety of buns with a variety of needs, but between all 17..

~I have one fed from a bowl (he's a baby).
~1 fed in a combo of from a bowl and scattered.
~Two who are bonded and have to be fed separately, one who has it hidden so she takes ages to eat it and the other who has it in a bowl for speed.
~10 who have it scattered all over where they live.
~3 who I'm mean and hide it in boxes, under toys, under their hair pile, etc, and make it as hard to get to as possible.

I also sometimes use feed balls which work great for some and others just break it :lol:

What do you do with yours?

None of mine have food bowls. Every enclosure is completely cleaned out daily.
They all have litter trays and food is scattered on/under clean hay *away from toileting area* to encourage foraging behaviour.

I just chuck mine into the run so they can find it. They all seem to enjoy it, even blind Summer, she gets very excited about it.

:mine must all be different they all have there bowls ......but must admit there normally topped over within 10 mins of feeding them just in from feeding them and checking th damge from the winds up here. my two spare light wieght huts have blowing over also just put a turpulling over the only Rabbit I have outside at the moment (Karissa) The rest off them I have moved into the carvan in this weather Karissa hutch is to big to move in :( we have plant pots everywhere you would think we had a hurricine through the night with the damage what is here

Scatter it all around the hutch. They get so excited about it :lol:

In the mornings, I dont even bother to open the cage - just sprinkle it through the bars.

I use a metal fence post as a hay rack, and put some pellets on top of the hay, the rest i scatter round it.

Loads of hay everywhere, a load of greens in a wire ball thingy which they love playing with and getting the greens out (bit of exercise) and some pellets in a bowl and then a little mix after a while for Mischa. Also some herbs scattered in the hay and a small handful in the bowl.

I'd never even considered scattering pellets but I think I might try that one.

Last edited:
There is a tiny bowl for the daily amount of pellets, and then hay, cut fresh weeds and some grass are scattered round the playhouse. Dry treats (carrotys and fenugreek crunchies) or pieces of carrot, apple, spring greens etc. are put in different locations also, like ontop of the stepping stool.

Julie has a hay basket and 2 tiny bowls for pellets. I divide the 1/4 cup pellets into the tiny bowls that are in 2 different parts of the house. I hide her greens and treats all around the kitchen for her to find.

I scatter the pellets about to make them work for it and hunt about in the hay. If it's wet, I scatter in hutch, if dry then I scatter in the run. They go mad for it. I usually put 1 handful scattered, and the other in treat ball.

I must be odd as Louie just has his in a bowl :D

No way am I scattering food all over the conservatory :lol:

I use to put all Julies food in her bowl and she would gobble it all in 2 seconds and beg like crazy for more. Hunting for it seems to leave her more satisfied and and is great exercise as she does binkies like mad looking.

Trip I hand feed each pellet, because he gives me kisses in between and I like the attention :oops: :lol: He generally ignores me unless I am feeding him :lol: The other three just get it scattered in their hay :)

Mine has it in a plastic container with 2 bowl bits - one for water and one for pellets. Think it's a cat dish! :lol:

I have to hand feed my pair their pellets to make sure Oakley has his share. Cassie eats at least twice as fast as him and will nick food off him. I like the idea of scattering food but if I did this it is likely Cassie, who is the brighter (and naughtier) of the pair would end up with more than her share.

They have their greens in a bowl as I dont think my other half would like the idea of veg being scattered around the dining room.:lol:

They also have a couple of trays with a few different types of hay for variety which they can have a good forage in.

Miffy has hers in her feeding ball because she has her piggy friend he has a small pile of his food, only Hazel gets a bowl because she has all her medicines in it :love:

Back