• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

doe's health & spaying

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
could anyone advise me whether if a doe is not well enough to be spayed (heart murmur i think), would it be impossible to bond her with a neutered buck? she's a lovely girl and i'm sure she would appreciate a friend.
(no, this isn't regarding esme or eric)

Lots of people do it as they think that if the boy is done everything will be fine. It's possible but I would say risky. It would be upto you whether you would want to take the risk or not. I would personally try it it but would depend on the does character. If she is quite territorial and a bit grumpy anyway I would definitely be more cautious.

I think it would depend on the doe and how much her hormones affect her behaviour (and also how long ago the buck was neutered obviously). Some of my unspayed does in the past showed no hormonal behaviour and would/did take boys easily. Others, you'd be lucky for the boy to come out all in one piece.

Do you know how this girlie would be?

I think it would depend on the doe and how much her hormones affect her behaviour (and also how long ago the buck was neutered obviously). Some of my unspayed does in the past showed no hormonal behaviour and would/did take boys easily. Others, you'd be lucky for the boy to come out all in one piece.

Do you know how this girlie would be?

i believe she's quite chilled but obviously she's not had any contact with boys - who knows what the hormones could do then:? shame really as her owner would like to offer a home to a boy.

Definitely worth speaking to a rescue about it as rules are generally no spay no bunny but often rules can be bent to avoid having single bunnies if there are strong reasons that a rule cannot be followed. Maybe there is someone on here who is near that could help.

Definitely worth speaking to a rescue about it as rules are generally no spay no bunny but often rules can be bent to avoid having single bunnies if there are strong reasons that a rule cannot be followed. Maybe there is someone on here who is near that could help.

thank you. i'll pass these comments on to her owner:)

I think they would probably need very careful bonding and close monitoring.

The key times would be times like spring, when the breeding season starts.

If the owner is very aware and very switched on then it might be doable., as long as they are prepared to house them separately if necessary. In that sense, a trio might work better, if that's an option, so that if they need to be separate, the two can still be in a pair.

There is the option of trialling a hormone implant (originally designed for dogs) that acts as a chemical switch to turn off her hormone production. It hasn't been widely used in rabbits but so far hasn't shown any adverse effects so could be very useful especially in the critical first bonding.

I would say it was possible depending on the 2 bunnies concerned.

I had a trio of unrelated girls bonded and only 2 were neutered.

I also have a trio of girls now who are unrelated and came to me as an unneutered trio.

I would always recommend neutering before bonding but if it is not possible to to health then as long as the healthier one is done then it can still work!

Good luck.

My brothers rabbits harry and penny are like this. Harry is neutered buyt Penny was never spayed. They had harry for about 2 years before they got penny, and penny was 9months when they got her from a rescue. It is possible just be cautious. :)

Back