• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye problem :(

donnab1981

Young Bun
We got our new house bun Simba a couple of weeks ago he is now approximately 11 weeks old. His left eye lid/rim looked red, and he had brown crusting around lower eyelashes, vet said ok keep an eye on it. Got redder over a couple of days with what looked liked pinprick sized small cuts/soreness. Took him back to vets, gave a prescription of Tiacil. Not sure if the Tiacil has caused his eye lid to become inflamed. Initially his eye looked better, as the crusting went, but his other right eye rim is a healthy brown colour, since using Tiacil its become pale as well as inflamed. Going to take him back to vets, hope its a reaction to the drops and not Myoximatosis, hoping its not as only the one eye infected, fingers crossed as his first jab was only given 8 days ago :( Will try and upload photos, hoping someone may have advice on this?!... Vet said conjunctivitis but it dosent sem to be weeping any fluid...

The first pic is his right/healthy eye...

Last edited:
One of the rabbits where I work cannot have Tiacil put into his eyes as he takes a reaction to it and his eyes become more inflamed than they are.

He does have a chronic eye problem though, so he alternates between fucithalmic and maxitrol drops, and this seems to work for him.

One of my own rabbits also had a bad ulcer on one of his eyes, we had to cycle through nearly every different eye drop, plus he had it debrided three times before it healed! It took around 8 weeks to heal, and only started off as a small white dot with slightly swollen eye lids!

Hope you get to the bottom of your buns eye probs soon.

Cerys :)

I was wondering if some sort mite, he itches his ear like mad to and shakes his head a lot but the vet say's ear looks fine. Just paranoid about him we lost our last bun in june to suspected e.cuniculi/seizure accordid to the vet, of which he showed no signs, except i found him barely concious in his gage rushed him to the vet but the couldnt save him. So ill probably be up and down the vets for all little things with this one.

Now do think its the Tiacil, put it in last nite, went bright red, then he tried the scratch it off, so the explains the little sores. Think Tiacil is def not any good for him!

Will read up on the mites...

thanks for the replies.

I have no idea about the different antibiotic eye drops in rabbits etc. but just to say sometimes the 'carrier' liquid used in different preparations can cause an allergic reaction in some animals and not others. It may be that your bun is allergic to the carrier solution in Tiacil but might be ok with another type antibiotic drop with a different carrier? :? I hope buns feels better soon. :)

Thanks for the comments, least my worst fear of Myxi is ruled out now :D, trying the maxitrol drops, hopefully will bring the swelling down... hes turning out to be an expensive bun so far, only had him 3 weeks... :roll:

Back