• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent advice please.

willowholly

Mama Doe
Took Barley & Dill for their VHD jabs today only to find our vet had an emergency & wasn't there.The only vet to see was the vet I had problems with.They said they had phoned us 10mins earlier[very helpful-NOT!!!]to say he was the only vet as its on our notes that we have a problem with him.We agreed to stay as it caused alot of stress on our 2 getting them into carrier.We sat for 30mins then decided to leave as we were going to be there ages & I dont trust him with my buns.
Both buns were panting & in such a state,a]because I had to chase them to get them in carrier,b]Dill slipped out my hands as was wriggling & landed on his nose,c]they hate the car.So we had basically put them through all this for nothing.
When we got home there was a fair bit of blood on their carrier rug.Not exactly sure who from but guessing its Dill as he banged his nose.Little bit of blood visable on Barley & Dill's paw so still not sure whos it is.Both eating fine but neither will come anywhere near me which is fairly normal after a visit to vet.Am so angry that they have gone through this & not even seen the vet.I know the injury is my fault & not vets but if they had rung me at a reasonable time,they wouldn't have been in the carrier.
The advice I need is-a]Dills VHD not due for 5 months,would it hurt to leave him at home just this once as dont really need to take him yet but B's is due now.b]leave Barleys VHD for a few months even though its due now.What do you think would be the best option?
This experience made me feel sick & also made me realise just how much I love Dill.

Last edited:
I take mine to the vet separately and don't normally have a problem if it is for an hour or so.

I personally would not take the chance of leaving the VHD too long after due date.

Is there any way the vet could do a home visit if it stresses them this much?

Edit - sorry your vets had to put you through this. I hope they are both OK and settling now.

Please don't leave Barley's VHD vaccination for a few months; you'll never forgive yourself if anything, preventable, happened to him.

I would take him separately. My lot have their Mxyi done at the same time but VHD separately and it doesn't cause problems.

Have you tried letting them play in the carrier prior to the vets trip? It helps my lot to not be so worried about getting in the carrier. Also, when you get to the vets, either ask if you can wait in your car (if it's noisy) or ask if they can put the carrier behind the counter, so the rabbits are not being upset by other creatures.

Also, don't beat yourself up over the injury, sometimes these things just happen.

Whats really upset me is the fact it has taken 6 months to build up some trust between us & Dill & now this has happened.Our vet had to fly home so they knew for hours she wouldn't be there so why on earth didn't they ring earlier?:evil::evil:No one is bleeding now so not too worried about that but will keep an eye on Dills eating in case it was his mouth.

I take some of my pairs seperately as they are all due at different times, it works out best though as it spreads the cost! I would definately take them when due.

I would take him separately. My lot have their Mxyi done at the same time but VHD separately and it doesn't cause problems.

Have you tried letting them play in the carrier prior to the vets trip? It helps my lot to not be so worried about getting in the carrier. Also, when you get to the vets, either ask if you can wait in your car (if it's noisy) or ask if they can put the carrier behind the counter, so the rabbits are not being upset by other creatures.

Also, don't beat yourself up over the injury, sometimes these things just happen.
Thankyou.The carrier always out-Barley digs in it & Dill sits on top.Think the problem is I rarely pick them up so they not used to it.

Some of the blood we found-
021020091174.jpg

Both buns are fine this morning.Coming to us as normal & eating their breakfast like theres no tomorrow.Still not decided on what to do about taking them to the vets again.

Glad they're both ok after seeing that blood in your photo. I always take my two together to the vets whether just one is due their jab or both. They have their Myxi together and their VHD at different times of the year. They always go together for any vet trip, unless it's a dire emergency and bunny needs to be held or comforted on the trip. They wedge each other into the carrier and give each other comfort. They are absolutley fine separated for hours but I prefer them to stay together as much as possible.

I personally would not delay a due vaccination and if one bun gets particularly stressed travelling (more than normal - both mine find it relatively stressful but cope ok) then I would travel that bunny with their partner definitely, but would consider leaving stressed bunny behind if not the one having anything done. Hope that helps a bit :)

I think that is very sensible. They will need a couple of days to recover from your ordeal the other day. Good luck :)
p.s. might be worth ringing before you leave to check your preferred vet is definitely still on duty.

ETA and most importantly - keep calm yourself - deep breath ;):)

going to a different surgery altogether!booked with barleys own vet last time but they told us when we got there that they had phoned us 10mins ago about her being called back home[abroad]which is why we got stuck with the :censored:vet who made me cry a few years back.:evil:

I have discovered who the blood belonged to it was Dill,but he hadn't banged his nose as suspected but pulled a whole claw off,have just found it.He either did it when he slipped into carrier or B was squashing him abit so he may have caught it then.Anyway,glad got to the bottom of this mystery & both buns are ok.

Back