• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I get another bunny?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Now I know your all going to say yes..... but I need to think carefully about this. We know that Snowdrop might not be around for as long as Strawberry and her condition means she will always need to be an indoor bunny as the cold can slow her gut down even more. We would love to make them into a trio so that Strawberry isnt alone if she needs more vet treatment in the future, especially after how depressed he has been this week.

My main problem is my accomodation. I have my pair in a 48" dog crate during the day time (from 8 till 4.30pm) and then they are free range all evening and over night. I know the dog crate wouldnt be big enough for 3 during the day but I dont have the space in the room its in to put a run around it.

Sorry for so many questions at the minute but I really value your opinions!

I have only had a quick read of your other thread, sorry.

I personally would not rush into bonding a poorly rabbit, as the stress may cause set backs.

Did I read right that you are trying her on a different diet for a month and the reassessing? I would certainly wait until this point to see how she is progressing before thinking of adding another bunny :)

Bonding a 3rd bunny into an existing pair is not always easy at the best of times.

Good luck with what ever you decide and fingers crossed you see improvement in Snowdrop :)

I have only had a quick read of your other thread, sorry.

I personally would not rush into bonding a poorly rabbit, as the stress may cause set backs.

Did I read right that you are trying her on a different diet for a month and the reassessing? I would certainly wait until this point to see how she is progressing before thinking of adding another bunny :)

Bonding a 3rd bunny into an existing pair is not always easy at the best of times.

Good luck with what ever you decide and fingers crossed you see improvement in Snowdrop :)

Thanks Liz. She is doing really well at the minute and as her problem will come and go we would only ever bond when she is in one of her good phases as she is at the minute. It has been really difficult for FHB to assess her as she has been really well for the past 2 weeks, when we made the referral 3 weeks ago she was really poorly!

I know the bond would be difficult and if I had thought about it before and was in a position to do so then I would rebond Strawberry and Snowdrop with an extra one instead of re-establishing their pair then trying to add a third at a later date.

Thanks Liz. She is doing really well at the minute and as her problem will come and go we would only ever bond when she is in one of her good phases as she is at the minute. It has been really difficult for FHB to assess her as she has been really well for the past 2 weeks, when we made the referral 3 weeks ago she was really poorly!

I know the bond would be difficult and if I had thought about it before and was in a position to do so then I would rebond Strawberry and Snowdrop with an extra one instead of re-establishing their pair then trying to add a third at a later date.

Why do bunnies always do things like that :roll::lol:

Have you looked into NIC grids as an alternative to the crates?

I had/have two trios (and had a third) because of thinking ahead like this. From the point of view of the Summer, Tilly, Roger trio, when Summer died Tilly and Roger did far better than either would have done had they not had each other.

Don't rush into it though, you have some time to think about it and decide what's best for you and your buns.

Have you looked into NIC grids as an alternative to the crates?

I had/have two trios (and had a third) because of thinking ahead like this. From the point of view of the Summer, Tilly, Roger trio, when Summer died Tilly and Roger did far better than either would have done had they not had each other.

Don't rush into it though, you have some time to think about it and decide what's best for you and your buns.

I have two boxs of NIC cubes but I have really bad joints and find getting on the floor to clean them realyl difficult. Especially as all the bits roll out under them. I guess I could have them free range during the day time if I used the run panels to just section off the bedroom door as Strawberry has a habit of chewing it to get out!

I think there's a black bunster at Celia's waiting to come home with you. ;) (You didn't expect a different answer from me, did you? :lol::lol:)

I think there's a black bunster at Celia's waiting to come home with you. ;) (You didn't expect a different answer from me, did you? :lol::lol:)

There is! lol But he is male and too big I think to fit into my pair! If we do decide to get another it will be female as the bond should be easier and we will definately take one from Kirkby.

I have two boxs of NIC cubes but I have really bad joints and find getting on the floor to clean them realyl difficult. Especially as all the bits roll out under them. I guess I could have them free range during the day time if I used the run panels to just section off the bedroom door as Strawberry has a habit of chewing it to get out!

A hoover with the tube thingy is great for getting all the bits out I find.

What about upgradig the 48" dog crate?
How long will Snowdrop be away for each time?
I'd certainly think about it.

What about upgradig the 48" dog crate?
How long will Snowdrop be away for each time?
I'd certainly think about it.

We dont have room for a bigger crate and I didnt even know you could get bigger ones. I think we could manage to make it a bit bigger by adding a run around it if we moved some furniture out the room.

I have no idea what is going to happen with Snowdrop. We just have to play it by ear and try to control her flare ups the best we can. She might not have to go away again, but I think I need to be prepared for if she does as Strawberry really hasnt coped well on his own this week and I would hate for him to go through this again.

We dont have room for a bigger crate and I didnt even know you could get bigger ones. I think we could manage to make it a bit bigger by adding a run around it if we moved some furniture out the room.

I have no idea what is going to happen with Snowdrop. We just have to play it by ear and try to control her flare ups the best we can. She might not have to go away again, but I think I need to be prepared for if she does as Strawberry really hasnt coped well on his own this week and I would hate for him to go through this again.

I think 48 is the biggest you can get. I was thinking NIC cubes or sectioning a part of the room off.
I hope Snowdrop is okay.
Xxxxxxxx

I'd tend to agree with Liz I think Rach - I know Snowdrop is well at the moment, but I'd be wary that the stress of bonding might set her back & make her really poorly again :(

I know that's probably a shock coming from me! :oops::lol:

The good thing with NIC grids is you can make whatever you need, be it a barrier, or a divider of some sort. Equally, you could make it so it is more up in the air, with a floor that catches the **** and some sort of ramp or stairs if necessary so that its easier on your joints, if you wanted to go down that root.

Equally, you could find a way to block off the inappropriate areas and allow them more space.

It seems like your mind is working quite quickly to find a way to make a trio happen so I would guess it would sooner or later :D Just make sure you keep us updated about it.

I agree with Liz about bonding a sick bunny. I do have a trio but they were originally all living together so it is a slightly different situation I don't think I would have attempted bonding a trio if they hadn't already been living together previously.

Do you think its right that I rebond her with Strawberry then or should I keep them separate? I dont want the stress to set her back and Strawberry is adament to be in charge.

Back