• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some help w/bonding 2 males.

bluegalaxz

New Kit
Sorry this is a little long...

I need some help w/bonding 2 males. I've have successfully & unsuccessful bonded several pairs before, so I know what it looks like when it works and when it doesn't. But I'm a little confused over my 2 new bunnies.

I recently got a 6 month old neutered male, and a 3 month old intact male (he's scheduled to be fixed next Tuesday). They got along great from over a month, but yesterday there was a fight in their hutch and the intact male lost a chunk of ear.

They live in a hutch with a door that doubles as a ramp into a large pen. At the time of the fight they were both locked up in the hutch. Since the fight I keep one in the hutch and one in the pen (alternating daily) when I am not there to supervise, when I am there I let them both have full access to the hutch and pen at the same time.

The confusing thing to me is that besides that one fight they get along well, even after the fight. They groom each other and sit in the litter box and much hay together. The only thing I notice is that every once and a while the neutered male will sniff the others bottom and nip his butt which makes the other dart off, but then they go back to being friends. It’s weird.

So I guess my ? is, could the intact male reaching maturity be bothering the neutered male? Since he seems to be the aggressor. And will getting the other fixed help resolve the issue?

Thanks for any help.

Its very very difficult to bond 2 un-related males even when they are fixed, i certainly wouldnt even attempt it if one isnt neutered yet you could end up with serious injuries. Id attempt the bond again after you've had him done and allowed his hormones to settle.

Its very very difficult to bond 2 un-related males even when they are fixed, i certainly wouldnt even attempt it if one isnt neutered yet you could end up with serious injuries. Id attempt the bond again after you've had him done and allowed his hormones to settle.

I have to agree. both males need to be neutered and around 5 weeks allowed for hormones to die down.

Is there anyway that they can be completely seperated, having already fought and seeing each other daily may hinder your bonding attempts.

I would definately say set the unneutered one done.

We had a pair of unrealted males bonded and one morning they got up and hated each other. We seperated them and tried them together the next day. They were absolutely fine as if nothing had happened. They never had another fight.

Having said that I have seen a fighting starting and never been able to rebond. Depends on the bunnies!

Neutering is a must though!

Good luck

Back